HIH frontpage
NOTICE TO ALL HIH USERS:

This is the HIH version 2 forum archive, locked and read-only.

-HIH Admin Staff

Web Hosting -The How To- *updated - 2/1*

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » Website discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jester
#2 Hottest Mod
#2 Hottest Mod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Web Hosting -The How To- *updated - 2/1* Reply with quote
Web Hosting -The How To-
Told by - Jester

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free Webhosts
LIH - Provided by Wicked. A great free hosting site.
A Gig for Free - 10gb bandwidth and 1gb space // Amazing Free Host. Probably the best out there.
Style Hosting - 5.5gb bandwidth and 2gb space // Great Free Host
Nhim Free Host - 5gb bandwidth and 500mb space // Good Free Host
Freewebs - Who hasn't used Freewebs. It may be pretty crappy, but it gets the job done for beginners.
x10 Hosting - Recommended by SpasticMoose, have not yet tried
T35 - Unmetered space & bandwidth - Ads though.
360 Uploads - Video Upload site for Xbox 360.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IsraeliPro -
Quote:
http://www.yourforums.morningflames.com

P8ntballer - luck129@hawaii.rr.com
Quote:
http://www.yourforums.mods4halo.net

Forumer - Amazing free forum hosting. Hosts phpBB and IPB, and possibly more.
GetphpBB - A nice free site for phpBB forums.
Invision Free - A nice free site for Invision Power Boards.
Free BB - Free hostings for phpbb2 forums

Good Paid Hosts
Abs Host
Enfinity Hosting
Start Logic
Wire Nine
Tangerine Hosting
Blue Host

Short URLS
Jester - rapidhalojustin@gmail.com
Quote:
http://www.yourdomain.rapidhalo.net

P8ntballer - luck129@hawaii.rr.com
Quote:
http://www.yoursite.mods4halo.com/

Tiny URL
Dot TK
CJB.net
Freedomain.co.nr

Starting your Website

Step 1 - Choosing your Host
Hostings can range from a variety of prices and specs. You should always check out various hosting websites before purchasing the first one you see. You can also check out Web Hosting Jury for more information on what hosts are good, and what are bad.

Cheap Host - $7.95 or less monthly // 50gb bandwidth and 1-2gb space
Expensive Host - $18 monthly // 12gb bandwidth and 1gb space

Negotiating is also a thing you should get used to. Put it this way, the host I'm using now, Serversphere, recently up'd their prices to 14 bucks a month. Which is a damn lot of money for what specs I was getting.

After negotiating, I am now getting an amazing deal. He's also a guy I've been hosting with for 5-6 months now, so..I guess that kind of adds into the factor. So get to know your host, and always try and negotiate.

Step 2 - Setting up a Domain
Domains can also range in prices from different dealers. Domains are usually payed yearly, and should be around $7-10. My recommendation would be GoDaddy. Amazing affordable prices.

Dot Coms, Dot Nets and Dot Orgs should always cost the same price yearly. On the other hand, Dot Tv's will most likely always cost alot higher. I'm talking a good $20 higher. For more information, go Here and look to the right handside. You should see a yellowish table that explains the comparisons of the different domain addresses and their prices.

Step 3 - CpanelX
CpanelX is a great item that comes along with your hosting. Obviously, it's the control panel of your whole website. Here you can change passwords, access your file manager, setup sub-domains, and other things. Your File Manager is probably where you'll spend most of your time.

File Manager is where you can access all your folders to your website, and create new files, such as an 'index.html'. Now, with your File Manager opened, you can access all of the folders. Your website exists in either the 'WWW' folder or the 'Public_html' folder. They both are the same, so it doesn't matter which you go to. These folders are where you will add your 'index.html' for your homepage, create image folders, and other sorts of things.

I'm not going to go into a huge tutorial on how to use the File Manager more, let alone the CpanelX. Maybe some other time. Wink In the mean time, you can go check out the offical CpanelX site.

Step 4 - Programming Resources
Well, when creating your site, you will have to use alot of programming languages. Usually people new to websites will tend to use HTML. But here are a list of sites that can progress your way into the programming industry.

W3 Schools - Probably one of the best websites out there for learning programming languages. Very great site.
Funky-Chickens - The site I used to use when I was learning HTML. Very accessible codes for your using.
Hot Scripts - This site provides you with alot of scripts from a variety of languages. Very nice site, and very useful.
HTML Goodies - A very nice site for new programmers in just about every language. Check it.
Pixel2Life - Basically a tutorial site teaching you how to perform certain things in a variety of languages.
Tutorialized - Like Pixel2Life, this website is a tutorial site to teach you how to perform certain things in a variety of languages.
More sites to be added later
If you think a site deserves to be on this list, please feel free to reply!

PHP Help by Garbageman
Email - garbageman09@gmail.com
MSN - nsmith91@msn.com

Hopefully this thread helped you in the process of web hostings. I will further update the thread with more details on different things. I will also be making the thread more organized.

Questions or concerns, please reply!

-Jester

Last edited by Jester on Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:52 pm; edited 61 times in total
/ Swift \

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is godaddy.com a good host? I am going to run my site off them and I want to know if they are good providers.
HaloHackerX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
no go with www.myvaluehost.com there domains are 4$.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MUNSIE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Go with Tangerinehosting.com Wink

Amazing hosting with lots of domains Very Happy

~Munsie
iamliam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think he's taking about domains Wink he's talking about GoDaddy's hosting

I (for like, a month) tried the GoDaddy hosting, and personally I thought the support was crap. Everything else is ok, though. But now, I've founded tangerinehosting.com Smile I have a coupon code, 'HIHMEMBER' until Dec 24th, that allows you to get 15% off of all plans gold and up Smile If you're interested, come check us out Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
/ Swift \

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok. I was looking at godaddy for

2Gb disk space
100GB monthly data transfer
500 email accounts
10% off coupon
Forums
MySQL
And a domain for $1.99
DUC4INS DADDY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
20m.com
iamliam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wow... i'd put that in the "expensive" category Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
a32ozSlurpee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have dot 5 hosting and they will rock your pants off.They are so fast and cheap.
HaloHackerX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
www.layer2hosting.com . They have like 2-3 dollar hosting really good to. Free domain transfers, MySQL other..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ZuP

Location: Ain't it just like the night to play tricks when you're trying to be so quiet?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://ducain.org/hihforum/viewtopic.php?t=76690

[/ZuP]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
F2D Wicked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good news, I've upgraded to reseller Smile

You can find my free webspace and subdomain service here- http://ducain.org/hihforum/viewtopic.php?t=79889
Kaon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
piczo is a pretty good free host......www.piczo.com

here's the site I made there (I also used photoshop)

www.phenixstudios.piczo.com
wrastler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for this Jester. <3 Jester (Jesticles).

www.just-shout.com Another pay site

www.just-shout.com/forum Post 50 times and you get free hosting.

Very Happy
IOHBOY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Free Webhost:

http://www.orgfree.com/

Offers:
200mb space
FTP access
NO ADS!

Very awesome free webhost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cheese ds

Location: Ummm ya, WOW look a gold worthog! *points*........*runs away*

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
LIH webhostinfg isn't working
LittLeBunny2o5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any abosolutlty freewebs sites where you sign up and you get it? No e-mails or crap?
Spherez

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bluehost

Hosting Features:

250GB/month bandwidth
10GB disk space
Site Builder
Free Domain Registration
5 extra domains
20 subdomains

And much more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » Website discussion All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: