HIH frontpage
NOTICE TO ALL HIH USERS:

This is the HIH version 2 forum archive, locked and read-only.

-HIH Admin Staff

How to get onto #HIH (The HIH Chatroom)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » Yap and Blabber
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: How to get onto #HIH (The HIH Chatroom) Reply with quote
Thank you to Behemoth for handing me your topic <3
also Thanks to GXM for the Sticky <3

Recommended Warning from Supernostro and GXM:

Don't Screw Around!!

Idiocy is a bannable offense.
-GXM and Staff

mIRC
  1. First, go to mIRC
  2. On the left, go to "Download mIRC"
  3. Download it
  4. Install it
  5. Once it's opened, type in your Name, Nickname (What appears when you talk), and 'irc.bungie.org' in the Server box
  6. Once you connect to irc.bungie.org, hit the add button on the box that pops up, and type in #HIH
  7. You'll now be chatting in the HIH IRC channel.
  8. From now on, you'll just have to scroll down that list until you get to #HIH, and then go into that.

XChat
  1. First, start off by downloading XChat
  2. Install it by opening the .exe file you downloaded
  3. Once opened, a pop-up box will appear to enter your information and help you connect to the server
  4. In the Nick name box, enter what you would like to go by on the IRC
  5. Leave the Second choice and Third choice boxes blank.
  6. For the User name box, put anything you want
  7. For the Real name box, put either your real name, or anything you want (people will be able to see this)
  8. Click the Add button on the right side of the box
  9. Name it whatever you want (ie. irc.bungie.org, Blah, IWubHIH, etc)
  10. Click on the server name and then click Edit
  11. Click Add
  12. Add irc.bungie.org
  13. Enter your nickname details (the same as the last screen)
  14. In the Join channels box, type #HIH
  15. Leave every other box blank (for now)
  16. Click Done
  17. Highlight the server you made (whatever you named it) and click Connect
  18. Talk to us!

Trillian
  1. To start, download Trillian Basic
  2. Once it is opened, it should pop up with a screen about setting up a connection.
  3. Once you have a profile, click Add a new connection
  4. Click IRC
  5. In Server Alias, type what you want your username to be on the server
  6. In irc.trillian.com::6667, type irc.bungie.org
  7. In Nickname, type what you want your username to be on the server
  8. In Username, type whatever you want
  9. In User Info, type your real name or else whatever you want
  10. Check the box that says Automatically connect to this account on startup
  11. Click Change...
  12. In the first box, type 24
  13. In the second box, type 5
  14. Check the box that says After successful connection to this IRC server, perform the following commands (semicolon delimited)
  15. Type in that box /join #HIH
  16. Click the Miscellaneous tab
  17. Check the box that says Rejoin channel when kicked
  18. Keep every other checkbox the way it is
  19. In the box that says Default signoff message, type something you want (this will be displayed when you sign off the IRC)
  20. Click Save Settings...
  21. Click Connect
  22. It should now open the IRC window, and you will be in the official HIH channel

Java Client (Web Client)
  1. Go to http://irc.bungie.org/webirc/ and let the client load
  2. Once loaded, type /nick *What you want your nick to be*
  3. Then type /join #HIH
  4. Voila, you're now on the official HIH channel

Chatzilla
  1. (A) If you're using Firefox already, just go here and download the extension
    (B) If you're not using Firefox, it is available to download here
  2. Once you have Chatzilla downloaded and installed, go to Tools and then go down to Chatzilla
  3. In the window, type /server irc.bungie.org
  4. Type /nick *your desired username*
  5. Then type /join #HIH
  6. You're now on the official HIH channel!

Colloquy
  1. Start off by downloading Colloquy
  2. Install it
  3. Once opened, a pop-up box will appear to enter your information and help you connect to the server
  4. In the Nick name box, enter what you would like to go by on the IRC
  5. Leave the Second choice and Third choice boxes blank.
  6. For the User name box, put anything you want
  7. For the Real name box, put either your real name, or anything you want (people will be able to see this)
  8. Click the Add button on the right side of the box
  9. Name it whatever you want (ie. irc.bungie.org, Blah, IWubHIH, etc)
  10. Click on the server name and then click Edit
  11. Click Add
  12. Add irc.bungie.org
  13. Enter your nickname details (the same as the last screen)
  14. In the Join channels box, type #HIH
  15. Leave everything other box blank (for now)
  16. Click Done
  17. Highlight the server you made (whatever you named it) and click Connect
  18. Talk to us!

Basic IRC commands
/nick *desired nickname* - Changes your nickname to something else. What you want your nickname to be, replace for *desired nickname*
/quit *optional quit message* - Disconnects you from irc.bungie.org. If you want a special quit message to show when you disconnect, type it in the place deemed *optional quit message*. If you don't type anything, it will just be a default quit message
/part - Disconnects you from the channel you're currently connected to.
/me *message* - Displays a message to symbolize a person doing an action (ie. /me eats food = * *username* eats food)
/whois *nickname* - When you /whois someone, it displays information on the user. *nickname* is to be replaced with the name of another IRC member
/msg *nickname* *message* - Will send a private message to another member, or will open a new private message window. [varies by client]
/notice *nickname* *message* - Says something to another member of the IRC, without opening a new window. *nickname* is to be replaced with the name of another IRC member. *message* is to be replaced with the message you would like to send
/join *channel* - This is used to join other channels on the IRC. Other channels may include #tgo or #hbo. All channels must be preceded by the #. *channel* is to be replaced with the channel name
/ignore *nickname* - Allows you to ignore a user on the server. You will no longer see their messages. *nickname* is to be replaced with the nickname of the person you wish to ignore
/ping *nickname* - Pings the user. Has no real purpose. *nickname* is to be replaced with the user you want to ping
/helpop *question* - Should you ever need help from one of the network administrators, you can directly ask them a question using this command. *question* is to be replaced with the question you'd like to ask them
/helpop usercmds - Provides a list of user commands that ae available for your use on the IRC (shows up in server status window)
/help - Provides a list of help topics for you to choose from (shows up in server status window)

Nickname commands
/msg nickserv register *password* *email* - This command registers your current nickname on irc.bungie.org. If you register it, it allows you to kick people from the server if they use your name (do not use it maliciously). *password* is to be replaced with what you want your password to be. *email* is to be replaced with your email address
/msg nickserv identify *password* - This command allows you identify yourself to the server as the proper owner of the username. *password* is to be replaced with the password you chose when you registered your nickname.
/msg nickserv ghost *nickname* *password* - If you notice someone using your nickname that you registered, you have the ability to kick them from the server. *nickname* is to be replaced with the nickname you registered. *password* is to be replaced with the password you registered the nickname with. NOT TO BE USED MALICIOUSLY!

Some useful irc.bungie.org channels
#tgo - HIH's sister site
#hbo - The official halo.bungie.org channel. Odd happenings seem to go on in here

Name Prefixes (in order of power - low/high)
No Prefix - Normal user. Has the ability to talk (and use basic IRC commands)
+ - Voice. Means user can talk when the channel is muted (meaning no one other lower than Voice can talk) (brown dot in X-Chat)
% - HalfOp. Means user can kick anyone lower than or equal to themself. Also has the ability to ban users and set some channel modes (blue dot in X-Chat)
@ - Op. Means the user has the ability to kick, ban, and set channel modes (more than HalfOp) (green dot in X-Chat)
& - Admin. Means the user can kick, ban, and set channel modes (more than Op) (red dot in X-Chat)
~ - Owner. Means this user has complete control over the channel. They can do basically anything they want to the channel. (purple dot in X-Chat)

Channel Modes
+A - Only allows channel administrators into the channel
+a - Hides Operators from view in the user list
+c - Blocks any color from being used in the channel
+f - Flood control. Means people can only post a set number of lines in a set time frame, or they are kicked from the channel
+G - Blocks all swear words from the channel.
+m - Mutes the channel. Only users that have Voice or higher are able to talk in the channel
+N - Disables users' ability to change nicknames. This is only put in place if people are changing their nicknames too much
+n - Disables users to talk in a channel if they are not currently part of the channel. Always on in #HIH
+p - Makes the channel private. You will never know it is there unless you are in it
+R - Makes the channel so only people who have registered their nicknames with the IRC can join the channel
+S - Takes away all of the color from the text in the channel
+t - Makes it so that only Operators and above can set the topic in the channel
+x - Blocks any messages that contain color from showing up

Not all of these channel modes are on #HIH, and some may never be, but it is possible you may come across them eventually.

User modes
+a - Makes the user a channel admin
+b - Bans the user from the channel (none of what they write will appear on the screen, and once they are out of the channel, they can't get back in until they are unbanned
+h - Makes the user a HalfOp
+o - Makes the user a channel operator
+q - Makes the user the channel owner
+v - Makes the user have Voice

Some other useful tips
Tab key - To reduce the time it takes you to type a message, if you are putting a user's name in a message, type the first letter of it and then hit the Tab key. This will bring up the first user with that letter for their name. To cycle through users that share that letter, keep hitting the Tab key
Up arrow - Only works on certain clients. Brings up the last thing you sent to the channel. Keep hitting it to cycle through your previous messages
Netiquette - Use common netiquette on the IRC. Examples include not typing in all caps, being polite, and the usual. A definition to help you gain a better understanding of netiquette can be found here

I think that's all for now, folks. Hope to see you on the IRC soon! Very Happy

Also, if you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, feel free to PM me, or email me at Kron0006@hotmail.com. I'd be happy to help you out! Also, if you want a guide for another IRC client, I'd be happy to write one up for you. If you have one to submit to the thread, just PM it to me here! Very Happy

Also, if you want me to walk you through the process personally, feel free to contact me via PM or other.

UPDATED: If you'd like me to include a tip of yours for the IRC, just tell me it via any of the above sources.

Special thanks for the help:
  • KP
  • esc
  • bassist3825
  • goatrope
  • Everyone else who has helped!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeez, I hope this stops people from asking endlessly how to get on to the channel. Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, can't stress this enough...

Do. Not. Impersonate.

If you are found to be impersonating, you will be a) banned from the channel, or b) banned from the server. Some of the new people joining have decided to impersonate certain people, and have since been banned. Just don't do it. Also, the server rules are a good read. I suggest you read them. If for some reason you can't view them on your client, I'll post them below.

Server Rules
This is a privately owned and operated network, therefore we reserve the right to deny service at any time without reason. Not that we're like that, or anything.

1. Any conversation or acts that would cause you to incur civil or criminal liability will not be tolerated on this network.

2. If it is found that you are commiting illegal acts or planning to do so, you may be disconnected, banned and/or reported to the proper authorities at the discretion of the operators. NO. WAREZ. HERE.

3. Any users causing a disruption will be punished at the discretion of the opers.

4. By connecting to this network, you agree with all the network terms, the way of the jedi, and more importantly the way of Bungie.org. The IBO IRC network waives all liability for civil or criminal action.

5. No shirt, no shoes, no pants required.

6. No linking to materials which may be considered offensive, once again at discretion of the server opers and/or channel operators. Arguing the point is futile.

7. Use common sense.

8. Do not socially engineer other users of this network to close their client, part a channel, disconnect from this server, or otherwise trick them into making their client do something that they probably would not want it to do. You would think this would fall under the common sense rule, but apparently not.

9. Do not impersonate users of this network, Bungie employees or well-known community members.

10. Do not evade a channel ban. This could result in a server ban.

11. Stop touching yourself there.

12. We employ the BOPM open proxy detection device on our network. Our BOPM bot (LopezJr) will automatically check upon your connection to verify that you aren't using an open or insecure proxy. If you are k:lined by LopezJr for an insecure proxy, and think it was wrong in doing so (although the software is never wrong, so your attempt is futile), please email kp@bungie.org to resolve your issue. What does that mean, you might ask?

WE'RE IN UR PORTS, KILLIN' UR DUEDS!

If you don't like it, the disconnect button is only a click away.

13. We are not Bungie Studios. We're barely bungie.org.

People who control you:
KP - Server Owner. Always listen to him. Also goes by KPismo and KevinPaul as well as others.
SanchezTheLlama - Co-server owner. Listen to him too.
Lucifer7 - Net Admin. He can do what he wants to you, so listen to him too. Also goes by zasx/grape
goatrope - Net Admin. Listen to him.
c0ld net admin, hardly talks in #hih but if he does, dont argue.
Art_Vandelay
Ducain
Phantom
sorahn
Stingraid
Any ops or half-ops (Note: On the #hih channel, forum moderators are ops.)

Edit by GXM: A note of caution, if you act like an idiot in #hih supernostro will find where you live and teach you a lesson. Last time it happened he brought the whip with him, you dont want to know how it ended. That is all.
New edit: This thread is not for discussion of those who have been to the #hih channel or irc.bungie.org server. If you have been banned from the channel, do not post your query or defense here, for it will simply be deleted. If you are wondering why you were banned, please contact the mod or admin who banned you via forum pm, or IRC pm. The command to start a private conversation through the IRC is /query [nick of individual you want to speak to here]. This is simply a thread of showing those who don't know about the IRC, and how to get involved. I am constantly deleting replies in this thread that have no business in it. So, if you notice that your post here was deleted, please, do not post it again, or I will personally ban you from the #hih channel. Feel free to ask questions regarding rules and regulations of the IBO Server or specifically the #hih channel. If your having problems connecting to the server, feel free to leave a note and make a thread in the Technical Support Forum. Thats all for now.
-GXM

Please guys, no more saying "Nice work Kron" etc, this isnt my work, its Behemoth's compliment him, not me. He wrote it up not i. Thank you.

Last edited by Kron on Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:03 pm; edited 9 times in total
TheMaker420
Movie News Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Frequently visited IRC channels

Well guys, I know there are many many other IRC Channels out there, but people just don't know about them, that is why I have takin the time to create this post.

Basically, I think this is cool because you can now see where a lot of your friends and HIH members hang out. There are smaller channels besides the HIH one, and the HBO one that people just don't know about, and I think it would be cool to get the word out about each and every one of them.

The Channel Visited KEY:

-If the channel is high-lighted in yellow, that means it is very active.
-If the channel is high-lighted in red, that means the channel is moderatly visited.
-If the channel is high-lighted in blue, that means we know very little about this channel, and it is not used that offten.
-And finally, if the channel is purple, that would be the channel that you can visit after you do something stupid in another channel, and got banned for it.

-#hih - This is the place where you will find all of the High Impact Halo members, and you can disucuss anything you like, as long as it doesn't break any rules!

-#hbo - You'll find all the hard-core HBO fans here, and the people that run HBO as well.

-#hat-trick - Here you can find mostly all of the members of the famous Hatrick clan.

-#TEHEYES! - I'm sure many of you have heard of this place, but never dared to enter. Well do not be scared, their all harmless! This is the place to be.

[b]-#trivia - Are you bored? Come here and type !trivia to be quizzed with some real thumpers!

-#hollywoodhalo - Have you ever wanted to meet some of the greats that see in all of the HollywoodHalo movies? Then check this channel out, that's where you'll find them!

-#jt - You can find all of the Jump Tactics members here, and their fans. This is really a fun channel!

-#QandA - As many of you know, there is a sticky in the Halo 2 Mutliplayer Tricks/Glitches Discussion. Well, now there is an IRC Channel for you to go and find out if the glitch you found is old or new. These guys are willing to answer any questions you may have.

-#PraetoriaGuard - Here you can find all the members from the all famous Praetoria Guard clan.

-#moap - No Information.

-#hbohelljumpers - You can find clan HBO Helljumpers here.

-#trickgaming - No Information.

-#FritoLaid - No Information.

-#hboforerunners - You can find clan HBO Forerunners here.

-#KDproductions - You can find the entire clan KDproductions, (minus POTS) here. This channel is poppin!

-#halopatch - Have you heard of MrSprouts new site, HaloPatch? Discuss it here.

-#moddinghelp - Have a question about modding? Ask here.

-#modding - Duscuss modding here.

-#hin - I'm sure many of you have heard of the HIH radio station called High Impact Noise. Well now they have an IRC Channel where you can disucss previous episodes, and episodes to come.

-#<3 - Well for you people that really love those sexy HIH members, come here and share the love!

-#360owners - This is the place for those of you who own a 360 to chat. Those of you who do not own a 360, you can complain here as well.

-#wafflecone - No Information.

-#coconutcorp - Remember the front paged glitch movie Objective Behavior II? Well you can find Vermiis and his clan here.

-#bungie - No Information.

-#hiq - No Information.

-#php - Need help with coding? Ask here.

-#wow - No Information.

[b]-#tGoW - Official channel for tGoW.net

#n64 - The channel for all the Nintendo 64 fans.

#cod2 - The official channel for all your Call Of Duty needs!

-#urband - Did you get banned from a channel? Come here and discuss your idiocy with the other idiots. (join this channel, and it automatically bands you, lol)[/b]

If you have any channel to add, please post them, and then I will add it to the list. Thank you.

~Maker

Edit by GXM: For all those wondering, you can also get a full list of all registered channels on the IBO server by using the command /list. To my knowledge, the list of channels appears on the IBO Server box that you first see when connecting to irc.bungie.org, not the channel you perform the command in.

Last edited by TheMaker420 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:41 pm; edited 20 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank's for the great list Maker ^_^
Great job

Last edited by Kron on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
S.W.A.T. Sniper

Location: Team Snipers 8v2 with xXxCocoFangxXx as my partner.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't forget to add teh #QandA channel for Questions and Answers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mr. Boomba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Help!! I just dowloaded mIRC and when it was installing, it froze Crying or Very sad

Screen shot:
ZuP

Location: Ain't it just like the night to play tricks when you're trying to be so quiet?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
#tGoW - Official channel for tGoW.net.

#n64 - The channel for all the Nintendo 64 fans.

[/ZuP]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GT=Twyzt

Location: Sitting at the bottom of Gemini without rockets or grenades :-( someone help me!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
No one in the Mirc chat is helpful

No one answers any ?'s and I found it a very useless rude room Sad
assassin_sniper
My granny owns you

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
make sure you join up in #cod2 for any type of discussion about call of duty2
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » Yap and Blabber All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: