HIH frontpage
NOTICE TO ALL HIH USERS:

This is the HIH version 2 forum archive, locked and read-only.

-HIH Admin Staff

The Montage 'How-To' Handbook

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » Halo Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMaker420
Movie News Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: The Montage 'How-To' Handbook Reply with quote
The Montage How To and Handbook
Told by - shadowsniper

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Note] If you want to make a good Montage, read this entire thread. Cover to cover. Even if it's a long thread, read everything, and take some notes. It may be a long read, but trust me, it is extremely helpful.

From SteveThePlank: "This thread is to help those are creating a montage. It focuses everything from getting the equipment, to using the right footage. I strongly suggest that you read what both of these people have wrote."

Hello all in the Halo Movies Forum, it’s shadowsniper. Lately I’ve been seeing a bunch of new Montages being released that all have some pretty good things in them, but are lacking that certain something. Most of the Montages on this site are not very good, but every once in a while we’ll get something spectacular. Now, I’m creating this Handbook to inform people of the do’s and don’ts, and just to give them some overall tips on how to make their Montage the best it can be. Some people may ask “Oh yeah, well where’s your Montage?”. I’ve never made one, due to lack of a Capture Card. I will probably be getting one for Christmas though, so look out! >_>

After all the different steps, I will post different links at the bottom, that look something like:

“[Example of BlahBlahBlah]”

So you can actually see in Video what I’m talking about in my steps.

Either way, I’ve been on this site long enough and seen enough Montages to know right from wrong, so if you’re making a Montage, follow these easy steps and it’ll really help ya out! Also, ha10fr3ak posted a bunch of helpful stuff, in addition to everything I have, so what he wrote will be at the bottom of my Steps, in italics.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 – Capturing Your Footage

How do I capture footage for a Montage? Well, first you need to buy a Capture Card. There are a variety of Capture Card’s out there, but the most popular seems to be from the Dazzle Company. They seem to be the best because they are user friendly, produce good quality, and have a variety of different capturing devices with a variety of costs. The Dazzle Digital Video Creator 85 is a lower quality Capture Card, but costs a mere $49.99. The more middle of the line Capture Card is the Dazzle DVC 90, which is a little more pricey at $79.99. It does produce somewhat better quality than the 85, but still isn’t spectacular. Then there’s the Dazzle DVC 150. It puts out amazing quality, but is much more expensive at $129.99. There are hundreds of other Capture Cards out there, but the Dazzle(s) seem to be the most popular. You will find out more information on the actual Capturing process in a manual of some sort that comes with the product, or by asking for help in Techincal Help. If these Capture Cards do not please you, then check out the Capture Card Database. Also, when capturing, try to get some MLG footage in their, because it seems to be the more respected gametype, and people will enjoy your Montage more. Dazzle is the most popular on this site, but people can get amazing quality from a $50 ATI Wonder-series capture card, so do not limit yourself to Dazzle only, there are many other devices better than this.

Step 2 – Selecting Your Music

Music plays a key role in making a Montage. Some people will even turn a Montage off if the music is not appealing, so choose wisely. Rap or Hip-Hop is a no/no, just due to the fact that 90% of people on this site are not rap fans. If you wish to use it for your credits, then that’s OK, but do not use it for the body of the Montage. Some people choose some kind of rock song that they like, which is fine with me. But try to pick a song that has distinctive beats, so you can *A/V Coordinate it (Read on further to find out what this means). Another good way to go on the music route is a Classical / Techno / Orchestra / Symphony / Movie music that you’ll see in some Montages. A really good soundtrack to find to understand what I am talking about is the Matrix soundtrack. Listen to those songs to get an understanding of what I’m talking about. Also, find some songs by ‘Juno Reactor’. They are all amazing.

Step 3 – Cutting and Keeping Clips

Another crucial factor in a Montage, is deciding what is going to be shown in the Montage. Here is a list of do’s and don’ts as far as clips go:

Do’s
  • Lots of Battle Rifle kills, preferably 4-shots.
  • Well placed frag grenades that result in a double kill or more.
  • No-Scopes from far away while moving
  • Killing a pro
  • Mid to far range Sticks
  • Double or more no-scopes.
  • Triple or more scoped snipes.
  • Any BXR’s or BXB’s
  • Any Triple Kills. Most double kills unless used with a Sword / Rocket.
  • Other weapon kills. (Shotgun, Carbine, Pistol)

Don’ts
  • Any sword kills. Only put in a sword kill on a Killtacular+. A Triple Kill or two could probably slide.
  • Any rocket kills. Only put in a sword kill on a Killtacular+. A Triple Kill or two could probably slide.
  • Close range single sticks
  • Scoped snipes less than a Triple Kill. A A Double Kill or two could probably slide.
  • Footage from a ‘No-Scope’ or ‘Snipers’ game, unless it’s amazing
  • Guest kills, unless it’s amazing

From ha10fr3ak: Killing a pro doesn't mean "OMGROFL I two-shot-sniped him but it was TheHaloGod so people won't care!!!11". I care. It looks like crap. Like when Hiro included a random assassination of WaLKa. Pointless. Needler footage is always welcome (double-kill or above)

Step 4 – Editing Your Footage

This is the part that usually ruins a Montage. The editing. Many people have fantastic gameplay and / or quality, but then spend no time editing. In the words of WaLKa “Editing is what makes a Montage”. It’s true folks. Special effects, flashy transitions, and perfectly timed music can make or break a Montage. Some terms you need to know are “A/V Coordination”, “transitions” and “special effects”. These terms will be used throught this section frequently.

1. A/V Coordination – Also known as ‘synching’. What this is, is just timing up important parts of the gameplay with beats of the music. If you can become good at A/V Coordinating, you’re Montage will turn out very good. If you can, use this for the entire Montage.
  2. Transitions – Transitions are the cool little things that take you from one clip to another. Don’t overuse these effects though, find a couple you like, and use them a few times scattered throughout the Montage.
  3. Special Effects – Just cool little effects to keep the Montage exciting. A very good one that should be used somewhat frequently is the speed-up and slow-down. These can even be A/V Coordinated. In a fast part of the song, put in a big long clip of you (Killing Spree maybe), but have to whole thing sped up. Make it so right when the upbeat music stops, you go back to normal time. Same thing with a slow-down. These are best used for a long stick. While the sticky is in the air, slow everything down a bit, and maybe add a color effect. Once again DO NOT overuse Special Effects. They can ruin a Montage if it is over edited.

Steps in editing a Montage:

• Preparing your Intro and Credits
  • Cutting your clips, so you know exactly what plays you are going to use in your Montage.
  • Putting your clips in order, adding special effects, and adding transitions so that it can be A/V coordinated.
  • Putting the final touches on.
  • Compressing it.
  • Finding a place to host it.
  • Posting it.

But you don't want to edit a Montage with the boring old Windows Movie Maker that comes with your computer now do you?

So if you can, download a free trial of Sony Vegas, and see how that works out for you. If you have the money, try and buy the real thing as well! Use Vegas or Adobe Premiere if you are aiming high. Just remember to stay away from the mundane filters that everyone uses. At a last resort use Pinnacle Studios.

From ha10fr3ak: A/V Coordination is a mandatory thing for making a Montage. You should use transitions on parts that would require a little bit of cover-up (like a missed snipe or bland gameplay before a nice shot). Speed up when time is of the essence and you are cramming for the A/V Coordination. Play around with the effects and mix-and-match with some zoom features. Tinker with spotlight effects applied to other effect-containing clips. Be UNIQUE, so that people see it and they remember the one instance that it happened. Add Music Credits and Capture Card used in your montage credits. This is a must.

Step 5 – Hosting Your Montage

Congratulations! You’ve finally completed your Montage! Now it’s time to host it. Now, although this is undoubtedly the easiest part of a Montage, your host can gain you a lot of respect.

First thing’s first, try and get it hosted at Halo2Forum. If you can get it hosted here, than you have really made a great Montage, because only the best of the best are hosted here. Look in this thread, and follow the exact rules on how to get it hosted.

If Z decides to host it, then great! Stop there.

If he rejects it, then don’t worry, I’m sure it still is great, just not 100%. Now to find another host. Well, just look at your file size. Host it on as many of these sites as possible, while staying within the aloud file size.

[Putfile: 25MB or less, stream only.]
[Mythica: 25MB or less, download and / or stream.]
[PicAPic: 40MB or less, download and / or stream.]
[Rapidshare: 50MB or less, download only.]

If it exceeds all of those, then go to a last resort:

[MegaUpload: 200MB or less, download only.]

Step 6 - Posting Your Montage

Now, many people when posting there montage will make a bad title, and in the actual topic all they say is "Check it out!" And that's it.

You need to give a little more information on what the overall montage is, and thank yous to anyone who helped/hosted. If it is your first montage, explain some of the troubles you might have had editing or finding the right type of music, so others can help you out. If you know that there was something wrong with your montage, point it on in your post, so every single person won't flame you for that. It's just to give them a heads-up.

As for the topic of your montage, don't brag about it and say things like,"OMG, best montage ever! 1000/10!" or "The best montage of the century! *Must See*" Because when people see topics like that, and watch your montage and find out it's not up to what your topic is, there going to call you out on that. Name it things like "TheMaker420's First Montage! *Reviews Needed*" or "Titan's Tripple Threat Montage Trailer *H2F hosted*" things like that where you aren't missunderstood.

After you have created a name, and have polished off your post, you need to add in the link to your montage. Now, lets say your montage was hosted by Halo2Forum. To make your link look a little nicer use the URL trick. Here's how you do it:

Step 1: Post your link

Example: www.halo2forum.com

Step 2: High-light the link, and click on the underlined URL button on your screen.

Example: [url] www.halo2forum.com [/url]

Step 3: Delete the first ] and add in the equal sign (=)

Example: [url=www.halo2forum.com[/url]

Step 4: In the 2nd to last [ sign, add in this sign to the left of it: ]

Step 5: In between the two square brackets, type what ever you'd like:

Example: H2F

Now, when you finally hit the button "Submit" don't do this at like 3 a.m. because no one is on at that time, so they won't see it. Don't post it during the middle of the day when everyone is at school either. I suggest posting it at the time of the school rush. Which means right after everyone gets off school; because when most people get home, the first thing they do is go on the computer, and check out HIH.

After you've done all that, you are finished with the post!

And congratulations! You’re done making your Montage.

HUGE montage music list:

For those of you who have trouble finding songs to use for you montages, and are afraid to guess on a song you're not sure of, let me point you in the right direction. I'm not saying these are all the best songs in the world, and that you have to use them. I'm just trying to help those of you who are new to the whole montage buisness, and could us a few pointers.

Here it is:

2000's Troy Orginal Soundtrack - 12
Immediate Music - A Call To Arms
Immediate Music - Assault
Immediate Music - Blasphemy 2.0 - Choir
Immediate Music - Bringer of War
Immediate Music - Choral Fantasy
Immediate Music - Detente
Immediate Music - Gothic Power (2)
Immediate Music - La Busqueda (Trailer Music)
Immediate Music - Lacrimosa Final Mix
Immediate Music - Orch and Choir Rise
Immediate Music - Requiem Rave
Immediate Music - The Chronicles of Narnia
Immediate Music - Ultimatum (Choir)
Immediate Music - What Lies Beneath Trailer
Matrix Revolutions - Neo vs. Smith
Paul Dakenfold - Ready Steady Go
Prodigy - Breathe
Prodigy - Voodoo People (Pendulum Remix)
The Matrix - Rob Zombie - Dragula
U2 - Stuck In A Moment

If you guys have any other songs you think are good songs for a montage, let me know, and then I will download them. If they are good, I will update this sticky with the new montage song.

Please do not hold me accountable if any of these songs have been used in previews montages. USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!

You may ask any questions you wish about montages, and I will answer them ASAP.

~Maker

Last edited by TheMaker420 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:04 pm; edited 23 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Qwiktune

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for Making this, Maker. I think we really do need to up the quality of the monatges being placed on HIH. The quality seems to be very low.

Hopefully everyone planning on making a montage will read this and take into accont all the things you've mentioned, thus giving us some 5 Star montages on HIH.

- Qwiktune -
shadowsniper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please don't give me any credit for this thread.

I made this whole thread (which doesn't ever need updated or edited), yet the all holy members of this site decided that it should just be taken from me. I don't need or want any respect from HIH, so you can take my thread and I'll gladly take no credit for this thread. I'll answer the H2F members questions and concerns, not the HIH ones. They're up to you Maker. By the way, that "HUGE MUSIC LIST" is nowhere near huge, and most of those songs have been used. Check H2F for a real list, but you might wanna ask them and actually get an answer before you steal there thread and idea as well. If this thread is now being taken so seriously, I'd only put new songs in there, not already used ones. Also, what were these giant updates that needed to be made so bad, that I couldn't just be IMed for and changed them myself? I see literally no changes, except for the small list of already-used songs.

Peace
TheMaker420
Movie News Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shadow, I love how you said check H2F for a real list. About 80% of those songs on that list, are terrible, and should never ever be used in a montage. Come on, are you kidding me man? Just leave it be.

~Maker
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ToBeYPwnsNubs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
LiTH1uM II wrote:
Please don't give me any credit for this thread.

I made this whole thread (which doesn't ever need updated or edited), yet the all holy members of this site decided that it should just be taken from me. I don't need or want any respect from HIH, so you can take my thread and I'll gladly take no credit for this thread. I'll answer the H2F members questions and concerns, not the HIH ones. They're up to you Maker. By the way, that "HUGE MUSIC LIST" is nowhere near huge, and most of those songs have been used. Check H2F for a real list, but you might wanna ask them and actually get an answer before you steal there thread and idea as well. If this thread is now being taken so seriously, I'd only put new songs in there, not already used ones. Also, what were these giant updates that needed to be made so bad, that I couldn't just be IMed for and changed them myself? I see literally no changes, except for the small list of already-used songs.

Peace

ROFL, PWNT!

Nice, Shadow.

On a serious note, why completely copy his thread ? The first one didn't even need to be updated, and it was taken down? WTF?

Last edited by ToBeYPwnsNubs on Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shadowsniper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheMaker420 wrote:
Shadow, I love how you said check H2F for a real list. About 80% of those songs on that list, are terrible, and should never ever be used in a montage. Come on, are you kidding me man? Just leave it be.

~Maker

It's got more than 18 used songs.
ToBeYPwnsNubs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't even think there are any more good songs to use, not unused ones anyway...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Saosin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
come on maker, give some cred,

why was the other one deleted anyways?
TheMaker420
Movie News Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Saosin wrote:

Um, I did. Look at the very top. Shadow didn't even want credit anyways, yet I gave him credit, because this handbook is awesome.

~Maker
shadowsniper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Saosin wrote:

I don't want any credit. Also, the other thread was deleted so that all the questions that had been asked were erased so nobody could see them, and so my name could be taken off the thread that I put my time into to make myself and to help others, just because I don't come here enough to maintain a thread that doesn't need to be maintained.

Rolling Eyes
Saosin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
LiTH1uM II wrote:
Saosin wrote:

I don't want any credit. Also, the other thread was deleted so that all the questions that had been asked were erased so nobody could see them, and so my name could be taken off the thread that I put my time into to make myself and to help others, just because I don't come here enough to maintain a thread that doesn't need to be maintained.

Rolling Eyes

well yea it sucks, but you cant really stop a mod from deleting it,

anyways, tnx for the handbook guide, its going to help me make a good montage

SAOSIN
shadowsniper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Saosin wrote:
LiTH1uM II wrote:
Saosin wrote:

Rolling Eyes

well yea it sucks, but you cant really stop a mod from deleting it,

anyways, tnx for the handbook guide, its going to help me make a good montage

SAOSIN

You're welcome.
TheMaker420
Movie News Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Updated with a Step 6, and a few more songs.

~Maker
WonkierBubble

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a question about gameplay-

It was on Lockout and I 5-shotted this guy with the BR then got 2 more kills with the sword for a triple kill. Put it in my montage?

Also, then I was about to get a killtacular when I lunged and he shot me right as I lunged so I flew across the entire map. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
shadowsniper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
WonkierBubble wrote:

It was on Lockout and I 5-shotted this guy with the BR then got 2 more kills with the sword for a triple kill. Put it in my montage?

Also, then I was about to get a killtacular when I lunged and he shot me right as I lunged so I flew across the entire map. Very Happy

Are you planning on spending lots of time on this Montage and try to get it hosted by H2F? If so, then no. If it's just going to be a better-than-average montage probably hosted on Rapidshare, Mythica, etc. then yeah I'd put it in. About the Killtacular, is that part of the play you were talking about? If so, only put it in there if you can splice it before you die and before you start to lunge at the guy. If you die, than get rid of the entire clip.

Wink

//shadow\\

Last edited by shadowsniper on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheMaker420
Movie News Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
WonkierBubble wrote:

I'd say if your going for a good montage, no. A triple kill with a BR, and then sword kills is fairly simple, not that tough to get.

As for the the killtacular, that's a definent no. Try not to ever show yourself dieing.

~Maker
shadowsniper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheMaker420 wrote:
WonkierBubble wrote:

I'd say if your going for a good montage, no. A triple kill with a BR, and then sword kills is fairly simple, not that tough to get.

As for the the killtacular, that's a definent no. Try not to ever show yourself dieing.

~Maker

Right above you?
TheMaker420
Movie News Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shadow I have the right to put in my own remark. Seriously, your making me mad now dude, just quit.

~Maker
shadowsniper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheMaker420 wrote:
Shadow I have the right to put in my own remark. Seriously, your making me mad now dude, just quit.

~Maker

I'm just saying, you said the exact same thing as me. And I'll keep on posting in this thread and helping out if I want to, which I do. Not trying to piss you off bro.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » Halo Movies All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: