HIH frontpage
NOTICE TO ALL HIH USERS:

This is the HIH version 2 forum archive, locked and read-only.

-HIH Admin Staff

My Trebuchet. also looking for plans.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » Yap and Blabber
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taggerung

Location: Eulaliiiiaaaa! Haway the Braaaaaaw! logalogalogaloooog!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: My Trebuchet. also looking for plans. Reply with quote
i reciently built a trebuchet and would like to show him off. his name is Taggerung after his daddy.

he throws a marble over 25 feet. took me about 3 days. i used all wood glue and no nails, nails could split such thin wood, and i wouldnt want to hurt tagg. pluss all the pressure is on the arm, witch swings freely releaveing pressure from the frame.

im now looking for some plans on a F A T or Floating arm Trebuchet. i have searched google for such plans, but could find none (none on a F A T, only a regular treb). if any of you could help in my search, that would be great. the F A T will be named Scarlath, or fatty, not shure yet. it will also be much bigger. thankee.
Valor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What exactly is it?
Battle_Hawk91

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
maybe im just dumb.....but what is a trebuchet???
Chimaira

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Q wrote:
maybe im just dumb.....but what is a trebuchet???

It's sort of a catapult thingie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ash

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's a catapult that flings things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Taggerung

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
this is a treb

Last edited by Taggerung on Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
AAaarrgh! DoUbLe BaSs!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think its pretty impressive, and I never knew there was a hobby in making catapults.
Session Dream

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Those trebuchets are very hard to make, I'm impressed.
{-_-}Tak_Noobins

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My Trebuchet. also looking for plans. Reply with quote
Taggerung wrote:
i reciently built a trebuchet and would like to show him off. his name is Taggerung after his daddy.

he throws a marble over 25 feet. took me about 3 days. i used all wood glue and no nails, nails could split such thin wood, and i wouldnt want to hurt tagg. pluss all the pressure is on the arm, witch swings freely releaveing pressure from the frame.

m now looking for some plans on a F A T or Floating arm Trebuchet. i have searched google for such plans, but could find none (none on a F A T, only a regular treb). if any of you could help in my search, that would be great. the F A T will be named Scarlath, or fatty, not shure yet. it will also be much bigger. thankee.

Thats weird, i am reading Taggerung right now. Im in the middle of it. And judging by your location, you really like Redwall
Taggerung

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My Trebuchet. also looking for plans. Reply with quote
{-_-}Tak_Noobins wrote:
Thats weird, i am reading Taggerung right now. Im in the middle of it. And judging by your location, you really like Redwall

lol, yea, ive been into it since i was 8. taggerung is one of my favorites. and i was going to name ny next treb Scarlath because he was so cool, and made me cry at the end (shutup, i was 8 ).

ps, i really need some FAT plans, it looks to me like none of you build catapults as a hoby, but if anyone could help me out i would be extreamly greatful. and ill give you a cookie. i wouldnt want to but i might have to ask ron toms. (guy who invented the FAT).
Agent Orange

Location: The last man who made eye contact with me was Ray Charles...so dont try it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
at the current moment i am building a massiv traditional trebuchet out of metal scraps, i am forced to weld them together simply because of the huge forces exerted on it.

According to my calculations (along with my physics teacher, lol) it will be able to throw a watermelon on level ground 150 plus feet

wahoo!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Semper Fi Commando
Agent Orange
Snow Rider221

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
pretty cool, lets see her shoot something
princeofthesword
Noble Trickster
Noble Trickster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fantastic! I suggest putting her on wheels, that'll allow the counter-weight to drop straighter, since this doesn't look like a "hanging-box" counter weight. I can't really tell in the pictures, but I'm assuming the weight is fixed, based on the length of the arm. Also since the arm is so long, wheels might throw the aim off, you may want to experiment with shortening the throwing arm.

But yeah, for fixed weights, go with wheels and shorten the throwing arm. With a hanging box, widen the support base and keep the arm long. Also, just in case you don't already know this, you can move the guide ramp side to side to aid in aiming, without having to move the entire engine.

I watched an incredible episode of NOVA talking about trebuchets. It was incredible, I highly suggest you try to find it if you haven't watched it already. Good luck to you! Show us a vid once you get everything to your liking Very Happy

Farewell 343 Guilty Spark
0={====>

EDIT: Ok, yeah I finally got the last picture to load, and I can clearly see it's a hanging box weight. In that case I suppose wheels won't change a thing, so it looks good to go. You really know your stuff! Medieval siege engines rock!
Sornos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I made a trebuchet with my friend last summer. It was a metre tall with a two metre arm. Sounds impressive, but it didn't work to its greatest extent. It threw a fist sized rock 20 feet.... We're going to make another one, hopefully one that'd work much better....
EternalSlayer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now all you need is miniature knights to chuck the marbles at Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Houdini

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://andypsionfan.users.btopenworld.com/treb02guide/trebuchet02guide.html

not sure if this will help but I'm trying.
Szurgot

Location: on top of the ascension tower with a sniper during a tower of power game. GT=SGT Szurgot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey Would you mind posting some plans for your treb. or maybe what size wood and how much you use because evey time i got to build one it ends up getting to big and i have to scrap the idea
GreekXboxMaster
In the Flesh
In the Flesh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The trebuchet we built for Science Olympiad was also made of wood, but had a much more clever design >;} It's firing arm is approximately a meter long, and can launch a golf ball over 27 meters. Runs completely on a stress-system, where pulling on the specific rope/line will release the arm to fire and go through a rotation. =D

-GXM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Turmolt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very nice trebuchet.

I had a friend over yesterday and we built one for science. It's nearly done, we just have one problem to fix. The sling releases too early and it sometimes shoots straight up. We have to launch a bouncy ball thats 0.00906KG over 6.1M. That's 20FT. Ours seems to work. It's made of a ski and a skateboard and some wood and a 10lb weight. Razz

Skateboard = Both of us, I'm starting to skateboard, he's a really good skateboarder.
Ski = Me. I'm a ski freak, just incase you didn't know. But he snowboards.

Nice job, once again.
Taggerung

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turmolt wrote:
The sling releases too early and it sometimes shoots straight up.

try bending the pin at the top of the arm forward, so the sling dosent slip too early. and experament with the length of the sling. thats just about the most inportant veriable. it sounds to me like yours needs to be shortened.

and POTS, thanks, i have seen the nova video, it helped me alot. i decided to go with the swinging box weight, because i thought that would be more effecient, and because i didnt want it on wheels.

i cant find any plans for a FAT so im gonna try to make my own. i already started them in math. the base is 20'' long by 10'' tall, i think the arm would be 20'' from the wheel to the top, and 9.5'' from the weight. im really looking forward to this, and i will defenatly post a pic (possably a vid) of this. ive decided her name will be Scarlath.
{-_-}Tak_Noobins

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My Trebuchet. also looking for plans. Reply with quote
Taggerung wrote:
{-_-}Tak_Noobins wrote:

lol, yea, ive been into it since i was 8. taggerung is one of my favorites. and i was going to name ny next treb Scarlath because he was so cool, and made me cry at the end (shutup, i was 8 ).

ps, i really need some FAT plans, it looks to me like none of you build catapults as a hoby, but if anyone could help me out i would be extreamly greatful. and ill give you a cookie. i wouldnt want to but i might have to ask ron toms. (guy who invented the FAT).

Who is Scarlath and what book is he in?
New Bass Man.

Location: Portsmouth, South England. NOT Newb Ass Man. New Bass Man!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haha, how the hell can you be arsed to do that?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
t3h gutst4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
New Bass Man. wrote:
Haha, how the hell can you be arsed to do that?!

Maybe he enjoys it?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
New Bass Man.

Location: Portsmouth, South England. NOT Newb Ass Man. New Bass Man!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
True, but I know I wouldn't be able to do that.

Y'see, I have a very short attention span, which makes it difficult to...

*Watches TV*
Taggerung

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My Trebuchet. also looking for plans. Reply with quote
{-_-}Tak_Noobins wrote:
Who is Scarlath and what book is he in?

that was the hawk in "the outcast of redwall", he was the companion of sunstripe (something like that) the mace. he was really noble and brave and all that.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » Yap and Blabber All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: