HIH frontpage
NOTICE TO ALL HIH USERS:

This is the HIH version 2 forum archive, locked and read-only.

-HIH Admin Staff

slYnki's runs topic (improved) - 3 new runs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » High Speed Halo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slYnki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: slYnki's runs topic (improved) - 3 new runs Reply with quote
Ok, here's how this thread's gonna work. First, you're going to see the levels I'm interested in running, the difficulty, and some times. Here's how I'll structure the times:

Very Happy - When you see good ol' smiley here, you'll know that the run is finalized, and on tape.
Smile - Happy guy here will let you know when I did a run, but I'm going to improve upon it. Oh, and it's on tape, this improvable run.
Surprised - When this guy is beside a time, that's the time I'm trying to hit.
Sad - Frowny here will let you know when I've done a run, but it absolutely sucks, and I'm going to be redoing it.

Ok, check it out:

343 Guilty Spark
Easy: 5:50 Smile
Normal: 5:48 Smile
Heroic: 5:55 Surprised (boo for watchable 6:17 time)
Legendary: 6:10 Surprised

The Library
Easy: 13:22 Smile
Normal: 13:40 Surprised

Truth and Reconciliation
Easy: 9:08 for Halo in 77 Surprised. Future expected time: sub 9 Surprised
Normal: 9:30 Surprised

Pillar of Autumn
Easy: 6:09 Very Happy (watchable 6:12 time)
Normal: 6:10 Very Happy (you can also watch my craptacular 6:23 time)
Legendary?: 5:00? I need to give this map some testing, just to see if I actually want to run it.

So there's my stuff. I'll be updating this thread every so often with progress reports. So yeah Razz.

Update center?
This little section of this post is for immediate progress reports. For example, if I happen to have a run on tape, or just some progress on runs, I'll post the level, time and give some details.

Some progress runs on tape:
The Library, Normal: 14:08 Smile
Pillar of Autumn, Easy: 6:09 Very Happy
Pillar of Autumn, Normal: 6:10 Very Happy

I've finalized my Pillar of Autumn times. I decided to pick away at them, and I managed to knock some time off my Easy run, and a major 13 second drop on the Normal time. The Library on Normal is a run I wanted to complete for awhile. It is by no means finalized or finished, but I have a 14:08 attempt on tape. I'll bring it sub 14 for sure.

Last edited by slYnki on Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:34 am; edited 24 times in total
FractalFusion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good thing for VHS tapes. Although for me the difficulty lies not in VHS tapes, but in speedrunning.

The username is gwdpto. Stop spelling it wrong.
slYnki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, speedrunning isn't all that hard Razz

And I don't know how to pronounce or spell gwdpto's nickname, therefore I choose not to.
NOKYARD
That Delta Guy

Location: London Ontario Canada - 'it's a fact' Miss Universe 1982 was from London

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
slYnki wrote:
And I don't know how to pronounce or spell gwdpto's nickname, therefore I choose not to.

come on s?Ynki be nice - you wouldn't want us to start mis-spelling your name... Wink

FractalFusion - glad you picked a name - and a good one at that - are you still running/researching Halo(level) - because we could still use your help on that

Last edited by NOKYARD on Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Sly Dude

Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. DO NOT READ THIS FOOLS! GT: Sly Dude

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yay, I can't wait! I have been reading up on your tactics and this is sure to be a good watch when it gets here.
Good luck with the next run!
- Sly Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
slYnki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lmao, I'll spell his name right. I always forgot it, or saw his name as just a bunch of gibberish. I just remembered it had a g in the front Very Happy I suppose my attempt at trying to be funny failed miserabley Sad

Anyways, some news on my speedruns. Yesterday according to my watch, my Guilty Spark Easy time came to 5:42. I think I timed it badly, so it's probably around 5:50 or something. I'll do another run today and get a more accurate time (because even I don't believe I shattered sub 6 that badly Very Happy ). But it was odd, when I took my new route to the ending structure, I swear to god the cutscene came earlier than before. I have no idea why it would have, but it felt REALLY quick. Definately faster than it usually is. I'll try and recreate it.

I also have an easy run of The Library on tape now, I think it clocked to around 13:30 or something. I'll have to double check that Very Happy

EDIT: Watched the run, and I think the time is officially 13:37 for The Library.
flechette
speedrunning ogre
speedrunning ogre

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
End cutscenes are a pain in the butt. I've had quite a few Great Journey runs ruined because the end cutscene simply wouldn't kick in. As soon as you get to where the map should end, STOP MOVING/RELOADING/SHOOTING and just wait it out. Think about it like it's a checkpoint -- you don't want to be moving around or jumping or reloading, or you may delay it a long long time. I've had the GJ end cutscene take 23 seconds to kick in before, because the elites were taking turns shooting Tartarus. Grr.

-flech
NOKYARD
That Delta Guy

Location: London Ontario Canada - 'it's a fact' Miss Universe 1982 was from London

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
slYnki wrote:
Watched the run, and I think the time is officially 13:37 for The Library.

hey slYnki, good job on those times - could you help us keep track of your successes by updating the first post with a time and maybe a smiley when you finish a run on each level

thanks
slYnki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure thing! Very Happy
scurty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great job on the times.

Who are you going to send the tapes out to to have them encoded? Hopefully they'll be up soon, I can't wait to see them.
slYnki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm gonna be sending them to Nokyard, since he offered to encode them for me, which I very much appreciate. I've updated the first post so it looks more professional I suppose Razz

I've also added Truth and Reconcilation on Heroic, as I'm slightly interested in doing a run on Heroic for that level (if you couldn't already guess). Should I leave my "I'm aiming for these times" thing up there, or is my post good enough? I'm thinking it's good enough.
slYnki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, good news, and some bad news. The good news is, my Library tape still looks fabulous Razz

The bad news is, is that I just recorded a Normal run of The Library, and it ended up at around 14:52 or something..... <_<;

That run had mistakes all over it, so I'm gonna redo it. Also, I recorded a Heroic run of Guilty Spark, but the run had mistakes all over it. I had to stop the run as soon as I got out of the flood room, it was just painful to do. The level needs more revising before I think of putting it all together.
slYnki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Woot, three posts in a row. Anyways, just thought I'd let everyone know that I've recorded Easy and Normal speedruns through Pillar of Autumn. I'm going to redo the Easy run, because I can improve it by 3 seconds. Annoying grunts sometimes blocked my way, costing me seconds, so yeah, I'm redoing it. About Normal, I don't know, I may revisit it, we shall see.

I may not be updating this thread too much with my Halo stuff, because over at SDA I'm starting to record my runs there as well. Mech Assault 2, T.H.U.G........ I'll still update and such, but those games I've been saying I'd do for awhile, and I'm anxious to get them done. So yeah, suck on that update.

EDIT: The next runs coming from me will be the entire Guilty Spark collection. I have some work to do Very Happy
scurty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What times did you record?

I forget if you can skip the whole "diagnosis" part of the level on Easy and Normal.. I haven't played that level in awhile.
slYnki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can't skip the whole diagnosis thing I'm afraid Sad

But it's no worry, I made it moderately funny. And I haven't timed the runs just yet, but I would suspect they're both around 7:00 - 7:30?
scurty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh well. I guess Heroic will determine the best time for Halo in 77.
slYnki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My Heroic run..... yeesh. I can almost never run a perfect run on that map on Heroic. I did it once, only once, and got something like 4:25 as my final time. I'm hoping to recreate that time, and try to take the map to sub 4:20. It'd be a challenge, that's for sure. I'll pay more attention to this level after I'm done Guilty Spark Very Happy

The only thing I can do for sure in PoA, is catching a marine's frag grenade after that air lock door explodes first thing. Hehe, fast nade hop up the stairs Very Happy
FractalFusion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
NOKYARD wrote:
FractalFusion - glad you picked a name - and a good one at that -

I was going to comment that I changed my username because the administration wanted me to when I was trying to publish something (on another site, by the way). So I picked this username and changed it at HIH as well. Razz

scurty wrote:
I forget if you can skip the whole "diagnosis" part of the level on Easy and Normal.. I haven't played that level in awhile.

You can skip the whole diagnosis part on Easy and Normal using the cryo tube bump. I even did it once.

But the cutscene at the bridge doesn't trigger, and you can't go on. Sad
slYnki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A tricker should come along and see if they can bump to the end of the level and see if the loading for the ending comes. I doubt if it does though. I guess we'll just have to sit through watching me be a goofball in the diagnosis.
flechette
speedrunning ogre
speedrunning ogre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I get time, I'll play around with the load zones. I've never played with them much, but I've always found it to be interesting to get out of the maps like that.

-flech
FractalFusion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did the cryo tube bump on coop before, hoping that there was some way to skip most of the level. All I found was that the upper route has black walls (if you've watched Spotcheck's Keyes Legendary run, you know what I mean by "black walls"). I'm not sure whether the upper route can be loaded in. Someone can give this a try, but jumping on light fixtures is hard.
slYnki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ugh. At this moment, Guilty Spark is not looking good. I've just tried to speedrun the level over 18 times, and I can't get it all together as a whole. I've missed my first grenade hop 4 times, the grenade hop up to the flood room 16 times, my grenades inside the flood room 7 times, and I haven't even gotten to the grenade hop by the Active Camoflauges once. It's getting really frustrating, practicing these techniques for hours and hours, and my mind refuses to make them work on film.

It's also frustrating having to rewind the tape, over and over again, setting it all up again, and 2 seconds in screwing up the run. I'm not kidding, I ran into the rock first thing because my left ear was itching, and had to start over.

I'm gonna take a huge break from anything Halo related, or for that matter, anything X-box related, and stick to PC stuff for awhile. Finish my N64 speedrun, then return to Halo later on, maybe in a week or so. I don't know when I'll be back, maybe when I've just calmed down a lot.
flechette
speedrunning ogre
speedrunning ogre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's my main problem, sylinki. Frustration gets me to put the controller down more than anything else, and it's either over dumb mistakes or bad luck. There's nothing that can be done about it, except taking a break or finding a way to calm down and come back with a refreshed want to finish the run. The problem is, it's not that we can't do it, it's that a LOT of things have to come into place, and they have to come into place ALL IN ORDER.

Take your break, and come back! Remember, the people putting up runs here are doing things that very very few halo players can or will do. Perfect speed runs are beautiful things.

Also, what game are you running on the N64?

-flech
GAWManŽ

Location: High Charitys Underground Shaft - Place Of The Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
slYnki wrote:
Ugh. At this moment, Guilty Spark is not looking good. I've just tried to speedrun the level over 18 times, and I can't get it all together as a whole. I've missed my first grenade hop 4 times, the grenade hop up to the flood room 16 times, my grenades inside the flood room 7 times, and I haven't even gotten to the grenade hop by the Active Camoflauges once. It's getting really frustrating, practicing these techniques for hours and hours, and my mind refuses to make them work on film.

It's also frustrating having to rewind the tape, over and over again, setting it all up again, and 2 seconds in screwing up the run. I'm not kidding, I ran into the rock first thing because my left ear was itching, and had to start over.

I'm gonna take a huge break from anything Halo related, or for that matter, anything X-box related, and stick to PC stuff for awhile. Finish my N64 speedrun, then return to Halo later on, maybe in a week or so. I don't know when I'll be back, maybe when I've just calmed down a lot.

*hopes you are running Mischief Makers Mad *

Anyways, good luck and I hope you get all the runs you want done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
slYnki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm running Super Smash Brothers. And you're right about the dumb mistakes. I used to land the grenade hop up to the flood room like it was nobody's business. Now, it's like I told a dog to hold the controller and asked him to perform my run for me. It's actually that bad. So yeah, I'm taking a small break, and I'll revisit this stuff a little later.

I'm gonna do my Half-Life stuff now too, because usually doing tricks in Half-Life calms me down somewhat. So yeah, I'll be back a little later when I've calmed down. Who knows, maybe that'll be later today? Smile

EDIT: There's already a run of Mischief Makers
Yay!

I think there's vids in that topic.
scurty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Judging from his sig, Super Smash Brothers.

Anyway, slYnk, same thing happens with me all the time.. you're not alone. Happens mainly when I'm running Legendary runs but the occasionally other difficulty level (I hated doing Regret and trying to string four perfect sword flies..). I think there's just some pressure on yourself when you know you're recording and have to do everything right. When you're just practicing.. there's no pressure because even if you did a great run, you can't show it to anybody. At least that's what happens to me. I can't tell you how many times I've died in the first room or on the elevator on the Oracle. You would think the flood room would be my big problem area.. nope. My allies like to kill me a lot :(
NOKYARD
That Delta Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
slYnki wrote:
my mind refuses to make them work on film

i get that too - i can fly through a level in practice, but as soon as i hit the record button i can't make a simple jump

so here's what i do - keep the tape running and only back it up to the start every 30-40 munutes - get a run done and back the tape to the end of the good run and reset the counter to zero - keep doing this and you will get 3-4 runs on a 2 hour tape (don't use the 6 hour setting)

and remember to laugh, not curse when you die
scurty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
NOKYARD wrote:
and remember to laugh, not curse when you die

Yeah, you'd be one miserable kid after a Legendary Gravemind run if you always cursed :P
slYnki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I never die when I speedrun, I just always screw up Very Happy

Screwing up pisses me off the most in X-box games for some reason, but on N64, I never get mad, I usually just laugh my ass off. The exception there would have to be Mario 64..... If anyone knew me in real life when I play that game, and at the times where I screw up on my Halo/2 stuff, it's actually quite frightening.

But on Smash Bros., I almost never get mad. Like, whenever I'm chasing down a stupid Yoshi with Donkey Kong, or I fail at throwing Giant DK off the edge because my partner came and slapped him, or I'm in the middle of throwing a computer off the edge, and he jumps up and survives, while I die, I usually laugh my ass off. Mostly because that game makes me cheerful when I play it, and I've been playing it for several years with too many good memories. There's something compellingly funny about bashing marshmallows with crates, and throwing explosives at rodents. Golden stuff.

The only difficulty with SSB however is the recording part. I need to convince my brother to let me move my N64 downstairs to his TV which has a VCR, then record my run. I don't know how that's gonna work >_<;

And I forgot to mention this two days ago when my dad said it, but I asked if I could have three friends over to have their asses kicked on Halo, and he argued that he was aching to watch movies on the big TV downstairs (when he'd been watching TV all week, everyday, for atleast 8 hours oddly enough). He said, "how about I give you the big TV that we have in our room, then move your box up to your room?" I may take him up on this offer, for one simple reason: that TV has a VCR. What could I then buy? A capture card. I'm being a tad facetious, but if that could happen, I would be in speedrunning heaven.
scurty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's another reference run for you. It was getting late so I stopped shortly after I got this time... I really don't like grunts and elites that get in my way. Yes, you could always look at Art's run as a reference but this is a bit faster than his. How you plan on going sub-4.20 baffles me but you probably use some crazy grenade jump somewhere.
FractalFusion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
slYnki, there are some ways you can relax, if you try running Halo levels again:

-Avoid runs where you have to grenade jump. Grenade jumping is one of the hardest things to do in speedrunning. Especially if there is very little room for error.

-Do longer runs which have a lot of room for improvement. That way, you won't get mad just because you're a few inches off.

There are many people who like short-run speedrunning (including me), but continuously running the same thing over and over with no error to give tends to make anyone mad.

Also, if you grenade jump, try at least to get a rhythm down. Throwing frags straight down on the floor, for example.
slYnki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I say this with no ego, that I'm damn good at grenade jumps, they aren't really the problem. I just seem to get overly nervous while recording a run. I just need to practice my techniques a little more is all. That is a slight problem, because whenever I'm trying to play some serious X-box, my dad comes downstairs and steals the TV to watch hockey. I hardly have any TV time, it's frustrating. I think I'm gonna take him up on his offer to let me move my X-box to my room and get the slightly bigger TV. From there I can buy a capture card and do whatever.

But you're still right, Fractal. I'm gonna take a little break from speedrunning Guilty Spark and move onto other things. As much as I want to record that run, it'll have to wait until it's truly ready.

Right now I'm going to focus on The Library and Pillar of Autumn. I'll re-record my Normal run of The Library, and redo my PoA runs, as they're kinda sloppy. Speaking of which, thanks for that referance video, scurty, it's told me a lot. I don't think I'll be able to hit sub 4:20, that's just sick. I might be able to hit 4:20, but never sub. And you're right, I have a grenade hop in mind that no one knows about that saves about 3-4 seconds Very Happy

I'll try and run some stuff in the coming week when I'm all ready.
scurty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's only one place that changes elevation in the whole level that I can think of and I use a grenade hop there.. I just can't think of anywhere else where you might do that. i'll just have to wait and see then.
NOKYARD
That Delta Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
scurty wrote:
That's another reference run for you.

are you submitting this one - i don't see it in the queue
scurty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure, why not. If slYnki improves it, it'll be awhile before he gets it posted anyway.
slYnki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, it's not a completely new grenade hop. My grenade hop is in the same area, it's just better. I also improved the last area somewhat. I just need to factor these things into my route, and it should all work out fine.

EDIT: Some news concerning Guilty Spark. I've dropped the nade hop at the end that gets me to the door faster, I'm gonna stick with my nade up the pillar. The nade to the door saves at best 1-2 seconds, and it's completely inconsistant, so it's getting dropped. The pillar hop I can land every time.

The beginning hop I've practiced, and I almost never miss it now. The only difficulty now is the flood room, and I'm probably gonna reconfigure my strategy in there as well. We'll see. My first grenade always works, I just need to find the precise spot for my other grenades and it should work. The rest of the run after the flood room is a piece of cake.
slYnki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SOME AMAZING NEWS!

First off, I got a Heroic run of Guilty Spark on tape, time comes to 6:18. This was my third attempt at the level. I messed up first on the hop to the flood room, then the second run I got shot to death in the first covie room. Some jackal decided to be an asshole <_<;

The run I have on tape is kind of edgy. First off, I almost got stalled at the beginning structure by a jackal, but managed to dodge him. Then I missed the jump down the elevator, and pressed the switch about a second slower. Oh well. I also didn't do the "slide off the building into the shield thingy" jump, I went with my old stuff. I took a beating, and got stalled a little bit in the covie room. I came out with 2 bars of health left. Anyways, I kept on going, barely landed the hop up to the flood room. The flood room went.... ok. The second grenade hop way down the level I barely hit. I jumped off the platform and just barely made it to the other. I was going nuts. Then the rest of the level went perfectly! Hopped up the pillar, and the ending area was ok, felt a little slow, but other wise ok.

So yeah, I timed it to 6:18. My best time is like, 6:08 or something, so obviously this run can be improved. I'll work to improve it later, but right now I'm VERY happy with 6:18. I mean, just compare it to the current heroic run Very Happy

Ok, more news. I did a random run of Truth and Reconciliation, and achieved a 9:35 O_O;

Yes, a 9:35. Unfortunately I didn't get it on tape, because I missed the hop in the hangar twice Sad

Don't worry, I legitly timed it from there. Anyways, the grav lift fighting was a little sloppy, but I still got to the ship in 3:20, which is ok. The inside fighting went ok, could be improved. My shortcut with the elite worked perfectly, if not better. I managed to get him to open the middle door, and I walked straight to the hangar very quickly. The hangar went ok after the second time, then I went onto the room with the golden elite. I found a new shorcut in there. I shot down the golden elite, and two grunts and the elite in the distance lined up perfectly, and I shot them all down with one sniper bullet. One grenade, then some assault rifle action finished off the rest of those covies. I swear, I was in that room for 10 seconds.

Anyways, I got to Captain Keyes and everything, then I used Fractal's shortcut of immediately ending the level. It worked! Final time came to 9:35. Funny thing is, this run can go sub 9:10, possibly sub 9 with some serious optimization. I'll be aiming for sub 9, because I know I can do it.

And lastly, I achieved my 4:20 on the Pillar of Autumn. My route and strategies are perfect now, and I think I'm ready to record. I managed to improve my new grenade hop by 1 second, and the fighting in the ending area. If my route holds out, it should all work out.

But yay! I got a heroic run on tape! I'm so happy right now, I feel like sending this tape to Noky right now. But I'll wait a little until I get a couple more runs on it Very Happy
scurty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm just a bit curious about how you go about killing the flood in the flood room. When I do it, I position myself facing the first door. When the door "bumps open" on the second try, I throw a plasma. Assuming that it will kill all the popcorn flood (usually does), I head to the next door. I throw a frag in the little space of the door just as it opens (not too long after I'm facing it). Then I go towards the third door. It usually opens when I'm in the middle of the room so I have to throw a long frag towards it. All three of these grenades usually kill all the popcorn flood. Then you probably have your own strategy for the very last door (which I'm terrible at).

That seems to me like the fastest way to kill the popcorn flood because you can only kill them as fast as they come out.. yet you always say you've been improvingyour time in that room. That leads me to believe you never used this strategy.. how could you keep on improving it then? ;)

Great job on the other runs. You're not going striaght to the third floor in the hangar bay, right? Yoo unpredictable? Going up to the covie ship then the grenade hop? I'm still skeptical about the POA time though.. I see absolutely no way how eight seconds can be improved on it unless you don't wait in the area with the very last enemies and you jump right over the obstacles and go stright into the fight.. I'm just confused.
insidi0us

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
slynki - nice to see you're keeping at it even though
u may be getting frustrated a lot.

i have a 4:25 for heroic poa on tape, but im positive it can go lower.
i ran around recording sections over and over and then pieced the video
together and came up with 4:18... i dont think it would go below 4:15... so if u can pull off a sub 4:20 in a single run... i'd bow to you.
(getting the frag from the flying marine seems to be 1 in 5 for me Sad )

anyways, good luck and i might start speedrunning again
sometime in the future... i have some project ideas to follow-up
on my latest video though... scurty, i think it was you who asked
about it when i mentioned it in a thread somewhere...

either way, it's been posted in the video section here,
HBO frontpage 2 days in a row, MLG frontpage, halo2forum.com frontpage, as well as bungie.net frontpage Very Happy
check 'er out:

MLG thread with mirror links
first HBO post + mirrors
2nd HBO - interesting facts
H2F home, look at news and announcements
bungie.net - still on this week's news "old school halo tour"
slYnki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You about have my strategy there, scurty. I've only ended up improving my Flood room time like, twice, and that was with those two extra grenades Very Happy

Usually I can only afford one extra frag in the Flood room on Heroic, and that's for one of the doors. The run I have on tape, I decided to not throw frag grenades. I was afraid they wouldn't work, and decided to play it cool with just the first plasma grenade. I was afraid it didn't kill all the flood, as I turn around slightly on my tape, but it appears they all died anyways.

The strategy I have for the last door is simple. Kill a little popcorn flood on one side, toss a frag in, then run out the door. I once made it through without throwing a single grenade, but got beat up HORRIBLY. The frag works everytime though.

I'll be doing all the grenades in the flood room for my Easy run. I might as well, I won't need them for the last areas. This being said, if I get those frag grenades rather consistantly, I'll try and redo my Heroic run, as I know I can improve it. And the strategy I have for Easy getting out of the flood room is rather simple: as soon as the door opens, unload your assault rifle Very Happy

And insidi0us! You're back! I haven't seen you around for awhile. Good to see you back. I'm downloading that "MAPTACULAR" thing as we speak, 60% done Razz

About Pillar of Autumn, god damn it's a hard map to hit perfectly. I too almost never get those frag grenades from the marines. If I do, the rest of my run is a piece of cake. I'll reveil my tiny secrets for the level, to those who are skeptical of my 4:20 time:
- At the beginning of the level there's of course the jump which I can nail perfectly. Then I can run through those doors without stopping. You have to run at them from the right side, then as soon as the door opens, strafe to the left quickly and you can walk straight through.
- Sometimes the marine who says you need to get to the bridge, will move out of the way, thus not having to jump over him.
- The grenade hop I have on the stairs is a frag grenade. Before I was throwing it at the top stair, and doing the hop up. However, you can throw it and it stays on the landing infront of the stairs, thus getting a little more distance.
- The ending area is improved of course. As soon as I run out of the door, I'm going to throw a frag off the wall, and usually it takes out all of the covies infront of the door. From there I jump over and throw two frag grenades quickly at the grunts behind the barrels, and the mission ends.

This of course calls for absolute perfection, so this run may take awhile to hit perfectly >_<;

Thanks for the support by the way about me being frustrated and all. I've calmed down a lot, and I'm back to Halo speedrunning. Just have to keep trying I suppose o.o;

Oh and about Truth and Reconciliation, I've just been going up to the second level, grenading to the ship, then hopping to the third level. It's slow, but it works.

EDIT: insidi0us, that video was incredible. I liked the transitions from map to map, that was really cool. The editing job was perfect too. Your girl friend must hate you now Very Happy
Sly Dude

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
GET A VID UP!!! Lol, I can't wait until you get the speedruns up slYnki!
- Sly Exclamation

Last edited by Sly Dude on Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NOKYARD
That Delta Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
EDIT: Very Happy insidi0us's movie is in the Halo Movies forum

Last edited by NOKYARD on Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
slYnki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh god, I thought you were talking to me. I just read a "sly" and thought of slynki. I felt bad and immediately went to my post, but didn't really see anything too bad in it. Except my signature smiley Very Happy

But yeah Sly, Noky is right, edit that post. And thanks for the support too, I'll get my runs up soon. Speaking of that, Noky, could you PM me with your address and stuff like that? I'm gonna record about 5 more runs, and just send this tape to you. It'll be awhile before I get a quality PoA and T&R run, so I may as well send out what I have when it's done. My Library runs, PoA runs (for the most part), and I'll finish up all my Guilty Spark stuff.

I'll try and get T&R and PoA on tape though, I just doubt I will. I may need more time. And I also say next weekend, because I'm busy all day tomorrow with friends. Day before school starts again, I have to go crazy Very Happy

Also Noky, before I close this off, I appreciate you offering to capture my stuff. Generous of you Very Happy
NOKYARD
That Delta Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
it's on the Submit page at HSH
slYnki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright, thanks Very Happy
Sly Dude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HEHE sorry, I wasn't being serious... In fact I can guarantee that 98% of the time I am kidding.
BTW Edit your post before I see it because it will make me feel bad Sad
Anyway ya I don't get why everybody takes me so seriously even when I say the most impossible things to believe. BTW you just made funna her yourself Wink

I knew they were setup, its a great vid and apparently god (bungie) thought so too. (THAT WAS SARCASM THERE!!!!)
AWESOME JOB INSID!!! YOU ARE SECOND IN LINE TO BE GOD!
- Sly Exclamation

EDIT: Also, I am probably just being mean cause my grandmother just died and I was stuck at her funeral all day yesterday, but its not bad cause I get all of next week off of school. Very Happy
scurty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
insidi0us.. that video was AMAZING. Did you consider posting it over at the Halo 1 forums? I'm sure they would LOVE it. I don't know why I didn't watch the video when I first saw your post.. but I regret that I didn't earlier. Major kudos to you on that.. the transitions from map to map while you were recharging.. simply brilliant!
slYnki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The transitions from map to map were the GREATEST. I loved when you blunt striked the ground in Wizard (or is it Prisoner? >_<) I believe it is, then ended up in Sidewinder. So beautifully timed and choreographed (my spelling on this stupid word is worth ass ._.)

I can't wait to start making my own Halo movies. If I could only get a capture card, GRR! I must force my dad to move that TV into my room. If he does, my god, I'll be in love. My friends and I have been planning a Halo 1 tricking video for awhile, hopefully we'll be able to do it Very Happy
insidi0us

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
yikes, i forgot i mentioned it in here Very Happy

sorry slynki... didnt mean to have people posting about my vid in here,
i assumed the movies thread itself would see the attention.

anyways... scurty i didnt actually think to do that.
i guess i can do so. it's getting slightly old now though,
having frontpaged bungie, HBO twice, halo2forum, and even MLG
(who doesnt frontpage much stuff outside of event info or interviews)

anyways... i'll wait a little bit.
glad you all enjoyed it though Very Happy
thanks for the comments.

if u havent seen it and wanna say something about it, please dont fill up
slynki's thread... head over to the thread dedicated to it in the movies section:
http://ducain.org/hihforum/viewtopic.php?t=87155

p.s. slynki - the correct spelling is choreographed. well done Smile
slYnki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't really mind if you fill up my thread Razz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » High Speed Halo All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: