HIH frontpage
NOTICE TO ALL HIH USERS:

This is the HIH version 2 forum archive, locked and read-only.

-HIH Admin Staff

Halo Under 2- 1:50:55
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » High Speed Halo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cody Miller
SMG Expert
SMG Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Halo Under 2- 1:50:55 Reply with quote
I know you're probably all sick of Halo speedruns, and you're here to see the latest exploits in Halo 2, but I think there's work to be done.

My Goal: To put together a ten segment legendary run of Halo (XBox) in under 2 hours

We now have a page on HSH.

Currently, we're under 2! Total time is 1:50:37

Runs so far:
PoA: 5:51
SC: 3:54
AotCR 5:59
343GS: 7:32
Library: 16:58
Two betrayals: 17:23
Keyes: 3:55
Maw: 9:15

It may seem hard, but I think it can be done. Ideally, I would like to see a new, faster run for each level and assemble them into one movie, to be hosted here, or at archive.org. I'll call it the "Halo under 2" Project.

The way I see it happening is this: This thread will keep track of the progress, and the runs will be submitted to HIH. Once <2 Hours is reached, each of the level's runs will be submitted in a high quality format, either on the web or just sent on a tape. They will then be compiled, and the project will be complete!

For starters, it would help to be familiar with the GNF vids. All the improvements will be based off these (except the Maw run, which I've already improved upon). If the GNF participants themselves would like to share tips and insight with us here, that would be outstanding.

To submit your runs, follow the procedure here, plus send me a PM with the details. Be sure to back up a high quality copy, we may need it later!

Improvements by level
Some levels can be improved upon quite a bit (T&R). Others not so much (SC). In general, levels with the potential for improvement should be tackled first. Levels I consider easy to improve upon, or those with the potential for massive speedups are:

PoA:PoA has been improved to 5:51 so far.

T&R: This run has room for a lot of speedups. No deaths, more agressive fighting in the second half, and better use of the active camo once aboard the ship could shave 3+ minutes off the run for sure. Could it go under 20?

Library:Improved to 16:58

Two Betrayals: Improved to 17:23
Keyes:Has been improved to 3:55

The Maw: Has been improved to 9:15

The rest of the levels I'm either not familiar speedrunning, or would contain speedrups of a few seconds. Please share your thoughts, stratagies, and routes. This a joint effort, unlike the GNF contest.

Let's get speedrunning!

Last edited by Cody Miller on Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:38 pm; edited 32 times in total
Funkmon
Pink Dude
Pink Dude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
A long time ago, there were a few people who tried this.
http://halo.bungie.org/oldnews.html?item=6084
They actually shaved some time off of that, too.
http://halo.bungie.org/oldnews.html?item=6215
So, it's possible on easy. On Legendary? We'll have to see.

Also, in the Library, you'd die if you grenade jumped through the doors, I think. There are just too many flood to kill you to blow any extra health.

And why limit it to Halo? Maybe if this goes well, we can have a Halo 2 under 2 video. It might be a bit difficult, but it's manageable, I think.

And, NOBODY'S sick of Halo speedruns. Speedruns=cool.

EDIT: I was watching the Truth and Reconciliation speedrun too. While I agree with you, the whole thing seemed a bit sloppy. Do what you mentioned, tighten it up a bit (less waiting/hesitation), and it's in the bag. I find that some of the battles can be skipped using cover and effective grenades. When trying these again, dump a couple grenades on people and see if it can't shave time off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
machineman9

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
it may seem i stupid one but RUN RUN RUN RUN don't bother with enimes just fire a few rounds to keep them occupied!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WLT
Shakeycam Dude
Shakeycam Dude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow This is great let's bring back the halo speedruns. Well If I know some things I share them here. know some ways to do Aotcr quicker. The winner of that level with GNF wasnt that quick. But the strange thing was I did it on a much quicker way but had a slower time. It could be that the ghost on the pal version are slower. I jumped off the bridge with a gunturret on the left side. It's very hard to do but is possible. I think your 15 seconds faster if you do it that way. Here's how you get off with the gunturret:

1. You throw a grenade so that it will fly to the ledge. The ledge just under the bridge.

2. Then if it will almost fall of the ledge and the turret turns abit then you flip it. Now the turret will almost stand still in the air and press x to get in.

3 Now you fall down and survive the fall to the big ledge, then to the ground.

ps- Thanks Goatrope for rebringing this site up Smile
goatrope
Speed Dude
Speed Dude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is an awesome idea. I've been considering a "Projects" or "Challenges" page where we could put stuff like this. I'll see what I can do about getting a page set up for this.
HitManBob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
this is really cool, ill need to practice but i bet i might be able to do one of those.....wait a second

(akward silence)

All hail Cody Miller

im not worthy
Funkmon
Pink Dude
Pink Dude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
WLT wrote:
Wow This is great let's bring back the halo speedruns. Well If I know some things I share them here. know some ways to do Aotcr quicker. The winner of that level with GNF wasnt that quick. But the strange thing was I did it on a much quicker way but had a slower time. It could be that the ghost on the pal version are slower. I jumped off the bridge with a gunturret on the left side. It's very hard to do but is possible. I think your 15 seconds faster if you do it that way. Here's how you get off with the gunturret:

1. You throw a grenade so that it will fly to the ledge. The ledge just under the bridge.

2. Then if it will almost fall of the ledge and the turret turns abit then you flip it. Now the turret will almost stand still in the air and press x to get in.

3 Now you fall down and survive the fall to the big ledge, then to the ground.

ps- Thanks Goatrope for rebringing this site up Smile

That's what Spotcheck did, and he did get a faster time.

Speaking of Spotcheck, Maw, on easy 9:15. 5:15, POA, heroic. Keyes, 6:40. 343gs, 6:43. AOTCR, 6:25

Also, who thinks this should be stickied, say aye.

Aye.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Funkmon
Pink Dude
Pink Dude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cody Miller wrote:
This reminds me, Xbox only for this one guys.

...Why's that? Doesn't that alienate a good quarter of the people who own Halo? Is it because of mods? Xbox's can be modded as well...or is it because of the keyboard/mouse configuration? Or something different?
Cody Miller
SMG Expert
SMG Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Funkmon wrote:
Cody Miller wrote:
This reminds me, Xbox only for this one guys.

...Why's that? Doesn't that alienate a good quarter of the people who own Halo? Is it because of mods? Xbox's can be modded as well...or is it because of the keyboard/mouse configuration? Or something different?

The goal is to assemble one video out of the individual level runs; to create a segmented speedrun of Halo for the XBox. Therefore, they would have to be the same platform.

You can certainly submit runs from Halo PC to High Speed Halo, but for this particular project I'm only looking for legendary XBox runs.
goatrope
Speed Dude
Speed Dude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stickied. I'll see what I can do to get a proper page up and running for this.
Funkmon
Pink Dude
Pink Dude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cody Miller wrote:

The goal is to assemble one video out of the individual level runs; to create a segmented speedrun of Halo for the XBox. Therefore, they would have to be the same platform.

You can certainly submit runs from Halo PC to High Speed Halo, but for this particular project I'm only looking for legendary XBox runs.

Understood. You want it to be seamless, in otherwords?

Maybe once the page is up, HBO could raise awareness for it and get many, many more submissions. A note to Haloplanet, or Rampancy could work wonders as well.
Swedishmartin
Swedish Dude
Swedish Dude

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Funkmon wrote:

Stop using pink and small!

The Ghosts are faster on HPC for more online fun. Therefore, ye shall not use Halo PC.

PS: It's called Xboxes.
Funkmon
Pink Dude
Pink Dude

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
[SWEDISHMARTIN] wrote:
Funkmon wrote:

Stop using pink and small!

The Ghosts are faster on HPC for more online fun. Therefore, ye shall not use Halo PC.

PS: It's called Xboxes.

I was thinking about that, but it looked wrong. Are you sure they're faster? Because Goatrope accepts PC entries for the HSH main site. Perhaps you should tell him about it.
Art Vandelay
:s
:s

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This should be interesting and will require a lot of hard work and dedication...and luck
WLT
Shakeycam Dude
Shakeycam Dude

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
But it's only on single player I think?
Cody Miller
SMG Expert
SMG Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, no co-op, just like the GNF runs.
Mr.Halo 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question What the heck r u guys talkin 'bout?
sorosis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
going nowhere fast... some halo 1 competition to get the fastest run on each level... i don't know a whole lot about it, but that's the basics of it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Funkmon
Pink Dude
Pink Dude

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Going Nowhere Fast was a competition put on by Amaroq and Bungie.org. Whoever could get the fastest runs through HAlo on Legendary would win some schwag. You can check http://halo.bungie.org for details.
spotcheck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would try the MAW, I'm pretty sure I can do sub 10 mins, but I don't think I could do it on Xbox. The warthog handling is absolutely abysmal compared to PC on the end run, and thats the only main problem I have.

Does the main times page accept PC runs or is it just the Halo Under 2 that acceps Xbox only?

-spot-
Swedishmartin
Swedish Dude
Swedish Dude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Funkmon wrote:
I was thinking about that, but it looked wrong. Are you sure they're faster? Because Goatrope accepts PC entries for the HSH main site. Perhaps you should tell him about it.

I didn't find it. Razz
Cody Miller
SMG Expert
SMG Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm gonna get this thing rolling by submitting the first run. PoA in 5:51.

This saves 17 seconds off of the GNF time. The route is pretty much identical to that of Condorman's GNF entry.

Here's where I see possible improvements to this run:

I use my last grenade to do the grenade jump, and so I have to spend a little more time than I'd like on the elites in the hallway. They can all be taken out with one well thrown plasma grenade.

I run down a grunt somewhere, and I don't have to.

Last edited by Cody Miller on Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swedishmartin
Swedish Dude
Swedish Dude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice. Very Happy

EDIT: Dat sheet be tight. Shocked
Meyeselph

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Combat efficiancy could shave off time. Reply with quote
I'm not a halo speedrunner (I just can't squeeze by that well and grenade jumping under pressure is a disaster for me). but I am a spectator of it and one thing I know about the halo games is gun use and killing stuff. I figure that you could shave a few more seconds off of most of the runs in the game by working harder on quick, clean killing in the fights you do have to do. I noticed in Cody's recent POA run that he forgoes the pistol despite having a good few places to pick it up. Personal preferance aside the pistol is the fastest clean up weapon and the fastest unshielded elite killer in the level. It may take more effort to use it right but if someone could do everything cody did in his run only pack the pistol it would speed things up a smidge I think. Grenades may be the workhorse of the kills in this speedrun but the little things still matter. Also fireing the single shots on the PP faster couldn't hurt. Feel free to tell me to go blow myself if I'm wrong in saying this.
WLT
Shakeycam Dude
Shakeycam Dude

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Youre the man cody what a flawless run and great quality Smile
Funkmon
Pink Dude
Pink Dude

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Uh Cody? Might wanna look at this:
http://www2.mythica.org/halo/hbo/lessthan3.mov
Cody Miller
SMG Expert
SMG Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
5:44! I think that's possible in Single Player, if EVERYTHING goes right.

They benefit from co-op, in that one player can distract the elites, while the other slips by (as shown in the "landing" section, and a few other battles.
Neilstr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What Ever You Say Dude! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
Condorman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah, I'd say that 5:30 or so (maybe less) is possible on PoA if everything went right. Looking back at my GNF run, I wasted A LOT of time mowing people down, and I still got 6:08. Hmm.... if only I had my xbox with me now... I might have something for you guys around April or May (when I'm back home).

When did you want these by?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Funkmon
Pink Dude
Pink Dude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Whenever. There's really no time limit on these things. It's just done when Halo is completed in under two hours.
Cody Miller
SMG Expert
SMG Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Condorman wrote:
yeah, I'd say that 5:30 or so (maybe less) is possible on PoA if everything went right. Looking back at my GNF run, I wasted A LOT of time mowing people down, and I still got 6:08. Hmm.... if only I had my xbox with me now... I might have something for you guys around April or May (when I'm back home).

When did you want these by?

Hey condorman, welcome aboard! There's no real definate timeframe for this, we're just gonna keep going till it's done!
goatrope
Speed Dude
Speed Dude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just finished Keyes in 11:50. That saves... 1:28, bringing our total time left down to 12:34, if my math is correct. I'm still going to work on the level a bit more though; this time can go a lot, lot lower.

ps- hey condorman! welcome to HSH. Smile
spotcheck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
do you think it would be possible to get up into the roof at the start of the level with the shield trick, and maybe memorise where the lights are? I've only ever got up there once and I fell out half way along Rolling Eyes but I think it may be doable. That would skip the complete outside section of the level Smile. Just a thought though, that would get Keyes down to an insanely short time.

-spot-
goatrope
Speed Dude
Speed Dude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
spotcheck wrote:
do you think it would be possible to get up into the roof at the start of the level with the shield trick, and maybe memorise where the lights are? I've only ever got up there once and I fell out half way along Rolling Eyes but I think it may be doable. That would skip the complete outside section of the level Smile. Just a thought though, that would get Keyes down to an insanely short time.

-spot-

It's definitely POSSIBLE, but it will be insanely, insanely, insanely hard. Anybody feel like doing it? I'll give it a shot.
Condorman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll be getting something to you guys sometime (I know that's rather vague, but that's all I can say right now). Probably not till this summer. This site sure has changed since last Thanksgiving.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
goatrope
Speed Dude
Speed Dude

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Argh!

I was doing THE most perfect run I've ever played.. effecient fighting, no deaths.. got to the final loading bay room, had just taken out the spec op Covies around me, health at 1 bar, shield down.. hiding in a corner hoping not to be seen. *pzhoo pzhoo* and a shade knocks me to the ground.

Anyways.. I reverted to save, promptly died a few more times, and ended up with 10:18 in the end. I lost 1:14 due to deaths, so this could probably go below below 9 minutes.

*Goes to retry level*
Cody Miller
SMG Expert
SMG Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I think we should prioritize the levels.

1) Keyes
2) T&R
3) Two Betrayals
4) Library
5) Maw

PoA, Halo, SC, AoTCR and 343 GS should be focused on last, in no particular order.

As soon as I have time to finally complete my run of Regret, I can get to work on T&R.
TheGhost

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cody, what's your time looking so far for Regret?
WLT
Shakeycam Dude
Shakeycam Dude

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok Im doing aotcr much faster than the GNF winner but when I look at my time Shocked I do it in 7.45 Question I did it on normal and jumped down with a shade I was down in 5 seconds, then walked to the first ghost wich is faster because the dropship was still at the bridge.
spotcheck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It all depends on how fast you can get to the bridge really, if you nail the shade jump down you should be looking at a sub-7 minute time easy.

-spot-
WLT
Shakeycam Dude
Shakeycam Dude

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah but I was faster at the bridge than him I know that for sure. Maybe I should make a video that shows the perfect run on easy, I know I wont get under 7 minutes Confused
goatrope
Speed Dude
Speed Dude

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just finished SP Legendary Keyes in 9:23. Two deaths adding up to 31 seconds of lost time. I'll have the video compressed and uploaded soon.
Sly Dude

Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. DO NOT READ THIS FOOLS! GT: Sly Dude

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't wait to see this, I love speed runs, plus it may be interesting scince I never got to beating halo 1. LOL.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
goatrope
Speed Dude
Speed Dude

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Vid's up: http://highspeedhalo.org/?news&id=21

On to Two Betrayals...
Cody Miller
SMG Expert
SMG Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's almost a 4 minute savings! 10 minutes to go? Cakewalk!

I know I called T&R, but I'm not going to get to that until I finish Regret, so if anybody wants to tackle it first, that's fine by me. Keep in mind we'll need a full resolution video for every level, so you can turn in any one as long as it's faster than the current run.
WLT
Shakeycam Dude
Shakeycam Dude

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice goatrope Smile I think this is going to be easy now with Only 9 minutes to go. A friend of my is a real TBetrayals specialist I think he can manage an under 25 minutes time. Not sure if he still wants to do it.
ironskillet2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i know truth and recon can be at the least 10:00, because there are so many shortcuts in taht level
Cody Miller
SMG Expert
SMG Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ironskillet2 wrote:
i know truth and recon can be at the least 10:00, because there are so many shortcuts in taht level

What are they? How do you see the GNF run being improved?
WLT
Shakeycam Dude
Shakeycam Dude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think TB is a run where you can shave a few minutes off. Im now downloading the run to see what the GNF time was when he entered the first bridge area. I got there in 10 minutes. Than I stopped because I just keep practising bit by bit to get better at this level. And I wasnt recording.
spotcheck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was playing around on 343GS before (only playing on PC at the moment, PC runs are not allowed in HU2 but allowed on the best times page? (bit unclear here))

I think that possibly a 7 minute run or very close could be done. I know when I did my easy run in about 6.40 or something I didn't stop running, and with the legendary one, I have found no real places that slow you down. I only wait a few seconds in the 1st main room before the jackals come out so I can get in without dying. The only thing that I do slower on legendary is the flood room, I only have 1 or at the most 2 frags left by that time and the little ball flood take a little longer to kill with the AR.

One question about the end....is the cutscene simply timed from when you reach the red light building or is it at random? I've found several times the cutscene started a different amount of time after I got out of the building.

Good luck to people trying T&R :p I swear that takes me like 2 hours hehehe

-spot-
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » High Speed Halo All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: