HIH frontpage
NOTICE TO ALL HIH USERS:

This is the HIH version 2 forum archive, locked and read-only.

-HIH Admin Staff

Useful Modding info - READ THIS

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » General Modding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Moose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Useful Modding info - READ THIS Reply with quote
The FAQs of Modding

I am creating this FAQ guide because I have seen many questions on the modding forum about something that could be answered in one topic instead of making 5-10 topics about it.

Format:

Question:

Answer:

How do I softmod?

Well, we can't answer that here, but you could take a look at the sticky or here.

If I softmod my xbox, how can I get on Xbox LIVE! afterwards?

There are a few ways you can do this. One is by cold-booting. Cold-booting is when you put a disc in your xbox and boot with it in there so you skip the dashboard and go straight to the game. The other way is to uninstall the softmod using the original installer (gamesave).

I tried to get on Xbox LIVE! after my softmod, but it says I can't connect to Xbox LIVE! What do I do? Have I been banned?

No, you have not been banned, your dashboard (EvoX, UnleashX, etc.) changed your xbox's IP to create a temporary FTP server on your xbox. To remedy this, attempt to start xbox LIVE! (using one of the safe methods like cold-booting or uninstalling your softmod) using any game. When it fails, choose to start the troubleshooter. From there, select Settings>Ip settings and change your IP address to whatever it was before your softmod (or if you have a router, just change it to automatic).

How do I mod Halo 2?

Modding any game can be difficult or simple, but there are steps that EVERY game has to go through to mod it. First, grab a copy of DVD2XBOX from the usual places. Then follow the instructions to put it on your xbox in the Apps folder. And then use DVD2XBOX to put the game on your HDD. From there you can use your hacked dashboard to run a game from your HD. After you get Halo 2 on your HDD, get DotHalo, CH2R, ADI, Insolence, or any other halo 2 modding program from HaloMods. They will all be in the utilities section.

My xbox shows XX error code and it says my xbox needs service, what do I do?

You can find a complete list of Xbox Error codes here. Steps to take after the errors show up can be asked on the forum.

I've heard about using mods on xbox LIVE!. Is this possible, and if so, how do I do it?

I'm afraid that this has too much potential for cheating (already being done) so we can't tell you. But yes, it is possible, and Bungie is banning people that do it, even in custom games. And don't ask for any files (softmod exploits, auto-aim ppfs or plugins, etc.) because you'll just get a usual places link.

If I go on Xbox LIVE! with my softmod/modchip on, will I get banned?

Absolutely. LIVE! will see that you are not using the MS dashboard or the MS bios and they will ban your xbox. The only way to get back on xbox LIVE! would be to get a new eeprom and hard drive.

Can X modchip mod Halo 2?

Yes. Any modchip can mod halo 2 as long as you get FTP access to your xbox. Regardless of the chip.

My X3 has X problem, what do I do?

First off, you definately need to check here Then if you still have a problem, ask on the forums.

How do I ftp?

You setup a network between your xbox and your computer. See here.

What's a ppf and how do I apply it?

A ppf is a patch file used to apply mods that another person made without having to get the entire map file. You can apply it using the ppf-o-matic from HaloMods or another program that also edits Halo 2 maps.

My modded map fails to load, what's the deal?

You forgot to encrypt it with the encryptomatic from The Fantastic 6 or DotHalo. Open either one of those, select fix encryption, and FTP the map to your xbox.

What are the "usual places" AKA Xbins and how do I use it?

Xbins is an FTP site that allows you to download various homebrew applications, dashboards, and BIOS' for various things all combined into one place. Learn to use it here

Or

You can download this program which will automatically connect you to Xbins.It automatically gives you a username and password so you don't have to do anything. The program defaults in the Xecuter directory(because it was made by them) but you can still navigate out of it easily enough. You can find that program here.
A different version can also be found here (does the same thing)

Does my stock Xbox hard drive have enough space for Halo 2?

Yes, as long as you don't have any music on it, you'll have just enough space. If you delete the campaign maps you'll have more room.

Feel free to post in this topic adding FAQs that I missed, this is just v1 after all.

8/19/05 - Updated to look better with new colors.
6/22/05 - Version 2. Updated with some questions.
6/16/05 - First version of the FAQ

Last edited by Spastic Moose on Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:25 pm; edited 6 times in total
Elsqueeko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ERROR CODES DEFINED:

Tutorial written by : Superfro [www.xbox-scene.com] and How to fix them by nosoup4you [www.xboxforums.net] and spellchecked by insertnamehere[also XBF] Very Happy

Description:
When you attempt to boot, a 'you need service' message comes up, and has a LED style number on thetop left hand corner. Here is what they mean.

Disclaimer:
This information is a believed to be correct, should be as close as it gets;
Also:
Bootloader stuff you should never see, since if it fails kernel doesn't boot. (thus you see no message)

Code Who sets it - Description

0 - any - No error (duh)

1 - bootldr - Unknown exactly, something to do with checking the motherboard
Check for solder on the mother if a mod has been attempted, if you tried to tsop you may have damaged the tsop chip and a perminate mod will be needed to fix it. if you have not tried to mod it, the motherboard may be dirty, or damaged.
2 - bootldr - Eeprom check failed
There is no Eeprom, you can buy one on x-s for about 10 bucks, you're xbox MUST be modded to put a new Eeprom in, and you're hard drive must be unlocked from the old one or it will no longer work.
3 - bootldr - ??/not used
4 - bootldr - Ram check failed
Something happend to the ram, check for solder on the motherboard. If you havent attempted a mod, the only way i can think to fix it is to install new ram. Very risky, but its probably the only way to fix it.
5 - kernel - HDD not locked (retail bioses require the hd to be locked)
If you are running off the tsop,(normal bios) you need you're hard drive to be locked, install a mod chip and you will be fine, or install a solderless mod chip, lock the hard drive, take the chip out and you're good to go.
6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD
You have put a new hard drive in that is already locked to another xbox.. it cant be used.
7 - kernel - HDD timeout
This probably means you're hard drive is damaged, you need to mod the xbox and put a new hard drive in, or install a solderless chip, put a new hard drive in, lock the hard drive and take out the chip.
8 - kernel - No HDD found
Theres no hard drive connected, if there is, try a new IDE cable, they often go bad.
9 - kernel - HDD parameters (PIO/DMA/or size {debug}, certain size minimum is required for debug)
The only time i got this was with a broken hard drive, wouldnt reconize the size correctly. Mod the xbox and put a new hard drive in, or install a solderless chip, put a new hd in, lock the hard drive back to the board and take out the solderless chip.
10 - kernel - DVD timeout
The dvd drive may be broken or not plugged in, you may need to replace it.
11 - kernel - No DVD Founnd
Try plugging the dvd drive in again, if its still not showing up, try a new ide cable as they often go bad.
12 - kernel - DVD parameters (PIO/DMA)
Bad dvd drive, it needs to be replaced.
13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.
Probably you're bios boots to the wrong executable file, make sure if you're going to the MS dash its xboxdash.xbe or if its modded probably evox.xbe, evoxdash.xbe, avalaunch.xbe and so on.
14 - dashboard - Error loading dashboard (dashboard generic error)
You're missing required dashboard files, try re-installing software.
15 - - ??/not used
16 - dashboard - Other files to do with dashboard / dashboard settings (specific dashboard error)
Re-install software.
17 - - ??/not used
18 - - ??/not used
19 - - ??/not used
20 - kernel - The dashboard was attempted to load and failed; It was a cold boot, and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed, but it (for some reason) needed to be noted that the dvd passed the challenge/response authentication.
Re-install software.
21 - anywhere - This error says that the machine was booted to display a error, basically someone told the machine to reboot (or launch a xbe) with this flag, and the error code just means its been rebooted by the flag
God only knows..

In closing:
21 was the highest number I could find, I dont think anynthing is past that. And for the unknown ones, I couldn't find anyreference to them at all, I don't believe they are used.
Elsqueeko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
LED COLORS:

Tutorial written by : XanTium [xbox-scene]
How to fix them NoSoup4You [xboxforums.net]
Last edited: June 14, 2004

GREEN/RED Flashing:
Probably a bad chip or bad image.
Could be a number of things, if you tried to mod it, theirs probably solder bridging 2 or more LPC points, or solder around the d0.
SOLID GREEN/No EJECT/No AUDIO/No VIDEO:
Probably a bad solder point. Check all your points again.It could also be a heat problem, make sure your fan is connected and don't put your xbox near heat sources. You can also try to open the top of the xbox and check if it goes better.Your bios is in a coma and its not gonna come out of one.. the only way to fix this is a perminant mod chip install.
SOLID GREEN/No AUDIO/No VIDEO:
This is probably a problems with your audio settings. Try to boot your xbox with a standard a/v pack instead of a HD pack.
Your bios is in a coma and its not gonna come out of one.. the only way to fix this is a perminant mod chip install.
ORANGE/GREEN Flashing:
No AUDIO/VIDEO (A/V) pack.
This may also be down to a solder splash on the board or a damaged track.Try a new set of wires, check solderpoints. Use normal av pack not HD.
ORANGE Flashing:
This may also be down to a solder splash on the board or a damaged track. May also be due overheating.Again, check for solder on the board, also try bridging the second lpc from the front of the board on the left, to the third on on the right. Bridge it with a small piece of wire.
GREEN for half a sec then RED Flashing:
Bad/Corrupted or Empty Eeprom.
Get a new epprom on there, mod it if you have to. Lock a new hard drive to the new epprom.
SOLID RED:
System overheated , hardware failure , ...
If this happens during gameplay, turn xbox off imeadiatly. If you're xbox is modded, use XB TOOL to mod you're bios to have the fan spin faster, bring it up maybe 40%. If you're xbox is not modded, you're playing too much.
FLASHING RED:
Dead, broken or empty eeprom.
Dead motherboard, dont even try.
Orange and red flashing
Dead motherboard, its alive enough to tell you it's dead..
Thuggalo420DL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm going to take my tutorial down and post it here. I didn't update it enough, and this answers a lot more questions than mine did.

Thuggalo wrote:

Not everyone can Softmod. Newer Xboxes (October 2004 or later) most likely will not work. Edit: There IS a 1.6/b exploit available from xbins.

Things you will need

Xbox that is NOT v1.6 or higher (1.6b is the highest right now)
Update: There are now exploits that work with both 1.6 nd 1.6 b

Action Replay
Mechassault, Splinter cell, or 007 Agent Under Fire. Can not be Platinum Hits
mIRC
SmartFTP or similar FTP program
Knowledge of #xbins
Crossover cable OR standard ethernet cable with router

I believe that's all. If you have the money and are confident taking apart your Xbox, a modchip is probobly the better way to go. If you already have most/all of these things, I'd recommend Softmodding, but only because I don't like taking my Xbox apart unless I have to, and it doesn't void your warrenty (as far as I know.)

Helpful links
Check your Xbox version
Using Xbox Live with a modded Xbox and getting unbanned if you screw up. This tutorial does NOT show you how to use your mods online, it just basically shows you how to turn OFF your mods, so you can get online.

Tutorials
I understand some people don't like to actually go and look for the information they'll need, so I'm bringing it to you Wink Xbox-scene can be hard to navigate unless you know what you're looking for. Here's the things you will need to read.

Total N00b Guide to Everything
Softmodding for Absolute Beginners
Guide to Xbins
All of these tutorials and links were taken from Xbox-scene. The tutorials can be found here. I suggest you read more than I've given you, I can't stress that point enough. If for some reason you can't find what you're looking for, Google is a lot more useful than most people think.

Final Words
Of course, this isn't all you'll need. The more you know about modding beforehand, the less of a chance you'll have of screwing up your Xbox later. The only thing I can say is read, read, and read some more. Then when you're done, go read. When I modded my Xbox, I read almost every tutorial on Xbox-scene. It took a few days, but it was worth it. It took me about five minutes to mod my Xbox because I knew exactly what to do. Of course, the build up to the five minutes was about two weeks of getting the materials I needed and, once again, reading as much as I could. But it's worth it to not encounter any problems.

If anyone's having problems, contact me on AIM, since the specifics of modding your Xbox are kind of a grey area at HIH. Keep in mind I've been really busy lately, and I won't be able to hold your hand and walk you through it. But if you ask me a question, I'll answer it to the best of my knowledge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr Sprout
Stupid Brit
Stupid Brit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Complete FTP guide

I've seen countless questions regarding FTP on these forums in the past so here's a guide to getting FTP working successfully

This will solve MOST problems but there will always be exceptions, feel free to add any problems you've had and the solution you used in a reply so others can benefit.

1) The Setup
To FTP from your computer to your Xbox you will need the right setup, more importantly, the right cables. Most people will be connecting through a router. When connecting through a router you need Cat5E cables, the regular straight through kind.

Some, however, will be connecting directly from their PC to their Xbox. They will need Cat5E crossover cable. Look at the diagram below to see the differences.

Notice on the right we have the crossover
cable and on the left, the straight through one.

2) The Software
To FTP to the Xbox we need Software on the Xbox and the PC, any modded dashboard on the Xbox offers FTP support, some of the main ones are:EvolutionX,UnleashX,Avalaunch and XBMC (Xbox Media Center) Any of these offer good FTP support. Legally I cannot link you to them but get them from the usual places Wink.

For the PC you will need an FTP program, I'd recommend one of the following:

Smart FTP, A free and reliable FTP client.

or,

Flash FXP, A feature packed FTP client with a 30 day trial.

3) Getting Connected
Getting connected is viewed as the hardest part of the whole FTP process, but in my opinion it's the easiest. Simply enter your Xbox's IP address provided in your modded dash network settings, enter the FTP username and password also provided there and connect (the username and password is usually Xbox, it is on most dashboards anyway). If everything is set up properly it should connect perfectly and you will see a list of your Xbox Drives in your FTP client. However, there are countless variables that determine it's success.

Problem: Sometimes you will have an IP conflict with another system on the network. A little pop-up box on your computer will tell you this.

Solution: Usually the easiest way to solve this is to enable DHCP in the network settings of your modded dashboard. This makes the IP address change each time you start up the Xbox which means it wont conflict. It can be a pain to have to re-enter a new IP address each time you want to FTP though.

Problem: I cannot connect at all!

Solution: This is most likely to be somthing stopping the ftp along the way, so think down the route it's going to take. It could be your firewall preventing your computer accessing the Xbox, try disabling it while you FTP. Also, a hardware firewall in your router could be doing it too, try disabling this. If this doesnt work make sure you are connecting on the right port. Which is usually 21.

Problem: It says it's going to retry in 30 seconds!?

Solution: Sometimes the easiest way to solve this is to use a different dashboard. I've found it solves the problem every time for me.

A problem Piggy had: Couldnt connect to Xbox

A solution Piggy used: Change your computers IP. Go to start, control panel,(must be in classic view, not category) network connections, and then local area connection. Click properties, then scroll down in the little box where it says this connection uses the following items, go click on "Internet Protocol". (don't uncheck the box, just click the name) Click properties, click on "Use the following IP address". In the IP box put 192.168.0.1 (or any IP you choose) and click on the 2nd box and it should automatically fill in. Leave the default gateway how it is. Then go into SmartFTP and put your xbox IP in the address bar, and xbox as the username and password. And there you go.

4) Some Useful Links
Below are some tutorials and information that you might find useful while trying to get FTP working.

Xbox Scene's guide to setting up EvoX

ChefElf's Xbox-PC networking guide (This is an excellent guide covering pretty much every problem you're going to encounter)

Exclamation This guide is pretty raw at the moment so PLEASE feel free to add anything you think might be useful in a reply and I shall add it to the guide Exclamation
Mr Sprout
Stupid Brit
Stupid Brit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some things you should know before you softmod

The number of people coming to these forums complaining about their broken Xbox after softmodding is starting to reach between 5 or 6 a day. So I thought i'd make a few pointers explaining the risks of softmodding.

Arrow The Facts

1)It is a common misconception that softmodding it the least risky way of modding your xbox. In fact it's probably the riskiest.

2)There is very little backup for you when your softmod goes wrong, the crucial factor in fixing a broken Xbox due to softmodding is FTP, and with a softmod you only have software FTP available to you. With a modchip, you can FTP using the hacked bios, so if your hard drive gets wiped you can just format yourself a fresh one with the chip and FTP back all your stuff. REMEMBER THAT

3)Softmodding often causes problems for people when connecting to Xbox Live because the IP settings needed have to be all entered manually. With a modchip you can boot to your Xbox to either the MSdash or your modded one. Keeping everything seperate.

Arrow Why I don't recommend softmodding to newcomers

Softmodding would seem the perfect option for anyone looking to mod their xbox, cheaper and easier to do than installing a modchip. Not so. Look at it this way, you could buy Action replay ($30) Softmod your Xbox (Free!) but then break your xbox ($100+). Alternatively you could buy a modchip ($60) and a soldering iron ($7). I'll let you do the math. All's well if you know what you're doing and have researched it and take all the precations before during and after softmodding but too many people come onto these forums going "Getting action replay today, softmodding too, cant wait to get some 1337 mods! then 3 days later come back a thread entitled "My Xbox is broken! PLEASE HELP!!!!". Unfortunately in many of the cases we can't help. If it was a modchip however I could just tell you to format your drive and copy a backup over. Seeing a pattern here? If you still don't understand, this is what i'm talking about.

If everyone on this forum took their time and used a modchip, we'd have a lot of happy modders.

Arrow Still want to softmod?

If you still want to softmod then go ahead and do it, I wish you the best of luck. Some of you will do it properly and have a great cheap modded Xbox but too many people are coming here complaining about their softmod and broken Xbox. I'm not trying to put people off, i'm trying to attract them to modding, lot's of potential modders are being lost when they go wrong at the begginning, don't be one of them. So if you are going to softmod, the best advice I can give is to go slow, and use tutorials.

Unforutnately forum policy prevents us from posting tutorials here, however I can guarentee that Xbox scene can help you with your softmodding needs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exclamation Remember to go slow, take it easy, use the tutorial double check everything and leave nothing to chance when modding your Xbox, no matter how you do it. Exclamation

-MrSprout
Mr Sprout
Stupid Brit
Stupid Brit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
superfro wrote:

Tutorial written by : Superfro

Description:
When you attempt to boot, a 'you need service' message comes up, and has a LED style number on thetop left hand corner. Here is what they mean.

Disclaimer:
This information is a believed to be correct, should be as close as it gets;
Also:
Bootloader stuff you should never see, since if it fails kernel doesn't boot. (thus you see no message)

Code Who sets it - Description

0 - any - No error (duh)

1 - bootldr - Unknown exactly, something to do with checking the motherboard

2 - bootldr - Eeprom check failed

3 - bootldr - ??/not used

4 - bootldr - Ram check failed

5 - kernel - HDD not locked (retail bioses require the hd to be locked)

6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD

7 - kernel - HDD timeout

8 - kernel - No HDD found

9 - kernel - HDD parameters (PIO/DMA/or size {debug}, certain size minimum is required for debug)

10 - kernel - DVD timeout

11 - kernel - No DVD Founnd

12 - kernel - DVD parameters (PIO/DMA)

13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

14 - dashboard - Error loading dashboard (dashboard generic error)

15 - - ??/not used

16 - dashboard - Other files to do with dashboard / dashboard settings (specific dashboard error)

17 - - ??/not used

18 - - ??/not used

19 - - ??/not used

20 - kernel - The dashboard was attempted to load and failed; It was a cold boot, and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed, but it (for some reason) needed to be noted that the dvd passed the challenge/response authentication

21 - anywhere - This error says that the machine was booted to display a error, basically someone told the machine to reboot (or launch a xbe) with this flag, and the error code just means its been rebooted by the flag

In closing:

21 was the highest number I could find, I dont think anynthing is past that. And for the unknown ones, I couldn't find anyreference to them at all, I don't believe they are used.
F1N3ST

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for that link ( http://www.teamxecuter.com/downloads/xbins.rar )
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
casuela

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: "How do I uninstall my softmod?" THE ? ANSWERED Reply with quote
casuela wrote:
Many forum-goers wrote:
How do I uninstall my softmod so I can play on Xbox Live?

I have seen this is a very common question on these forums and it is actually a good thing. This shows that a good chunk of you are actually not modding on XBL and are following the rules! Laughing So here we go.

STEP 1 for both UXE and Ndure

First you want to make sure that you have all of the maps in your tdata folder UNMODIFIED!!! If they are modified AT ALL, Bungie will notice and you will get banned. If you arn't sure, delete them and when you sign into XBL you can download them again.

How to take mods off when removing softmod for XBL play. For Krayzie's UXE installer.

So after you get all your maps sorted out, you would then get to your softmod installer menu. To do this you would pop in the game that you softmodded through (Mech Assault, Splinter Cell, 007 AUF). So you put that in, and get to the installer menu. You would then select "Restore MS Backup". This is when you are going to want to have backed up the MS dashboard. If you didn't then you need to find it somewhere or get a modchip. If you were smart and DID backup, then all you have to do is select this handy little option. Then it will go through a bunch of loading screens that are removing the softmod files. Once it is done it will auto shutdown your Xbox. The next time you turn on your Xbox it will boot to the normal Microsoft Dashboard. NOTE: Doing this does not remove all of the new folders that were added when you softmodded. For example, games, apps, emus, etc are all still on your hard disc drive.

For Krayzie's Ndure Installer

Do the same exact steps with the maps. Either make sure they are unmodded, or delete them and once the process is over you can re-download them. So with the Ndure Installer it is much easier to get on XBL. The Ndure Installer automatically makes a backup of your Microsoft Dashboard and makes it so you can switch between the dashboards in the Softmod Installer menu accessed through the disc that you softmodded through. To get to Microsoft Dashboard with the Ndure Installer, just pop in the disc you softmodded through and get to the installer. The first option is "Switch Softmod on/off" This is the option that you select. If it is on you would switch it off, and if it is off you would switch it on to get to the modded dashboard. Pretty simple.

NOTE:
Doing this does not remove all of the new folders that were added when you softmodded. For example, games, apps, emus, etc are all still on your hard disc drive.

Hope this helps some of you and I hope that some actually look at this instead of posting a whole new thread. If you have any questions about this message me on any of the instant messaging services that I have. All of my contacts are in my profile.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xI CalCiUm Xi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ive deleted everything out of my c-DRIVE how do i make or get a boot disc when i boot the xbox all it does is go to customer service screen and its LED color is RED only HOW DO I FIX Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
ReadingNayr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
xI CalCiUm Xi wrote:
Ive deleted everything out of my c-DRIVE how do i make or get a boot disc when i boot the xbox all it does is go to customer service screen and its LED color is RED only HOW DO I FIX Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

for starters buy a new xbox or get chiped
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » General Modding Discussion All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: