HIH frontpage
NOTICE TO ALL HIH USERS:

This is the HIH version 2 forum archive, locked and read-only.

-HIH Admin Staff

Gravemind Legendary 33.48 (video now online)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » High Speed Halo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scurty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Gravemind Legendary 33.48 (video now online) Reply with quote
And here's the run:

http://files.mythica.org/halo/highimpacthalo/highspeed/Halo2/Gravemind/gravemind_legendary_scurty_33.48.wmv

First off, let me say this. This run is merely meant to be a reference.. something that someone else can work off of. I'm converting it to my computer now and it will be up shortly. I know that 34 minutes is a horrible time.. this is just something to work off of like I just said. Don't expect anything pretty because there are MANY deaths. I'm still experimenting with the level. But for now we have <34 minutes.

A couple notes about the run in advance (uploading via FTP right now)

- in the whole run I'm trying to rush.. this means I go into the open after hiding for basically two seconds and my shields are still down.. I die a lot doign this

- I didn't get a checkpoint where you get your first sword. Normally, it takes me at least ten minutes to get past this point WITH a checkpoint. But thanks to fletchette's.. 'uber skills'.. I get past that HORRIBLE room without dying

- Jetpack elite room.. once again, this can take me ten minutes to get past sometimes. I get by with two deaths.. thanks to fletchette again

- Probably the most confusing "revert to save" you'll ever see is on the bridge with the three elites.. one in the sniper. I do all the dirty work and then sword fly across the bridge.. but I realize I have a sniper.. I revert back to save to get a FRG and then do that sword fly again (probably a minute lost, sigh)

The run should be up tonight, go easy on me when critiqing it :)

Last edited by scurty on Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
flechette
speedrunning ogre
speedrunning ogre

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This may give me the final push I need to sit down, clear some HD space, and just MAKE a damn run, instead of deleting every run I do because I die a few times :|

-flech
scurty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which is the exact reason why I made this run. I never intended for this to be a good run although it came out faster than I was expecting (around 37). Probably around 15 deaths in mine and you're complaing about a few? Hehehe :D
Cody Miller
SMG Expert
SMG Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
flechette wrote:
This may give me the final push I need to sit down, clear some HD space, and just MAKE a damn run, instead of deleting every run I do because I die a few times Neutral

-flech

Heh. If I didn't delete my runs and settle for no deaths, my GNF library run (and the subsequent improvement) would not have seen the light of day. Be critical. Make it the best you can!

Truth and reconcilliation was an exception, but not the second time around Wink
flechette
speedrunning ogre
speedrunning ogre

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
First tip: On Heroic/Legendary, you can skip BOTH waves of enemies that come out of the side doors, but you have to be real quick to skip the second batch (after the captain).

Same idea, even, just make sure you're near a center door when you kill the second brute coming down, and get into position as or before you get the checkpoint. You'll be able to skip right to Cortana opening the doors.

I had a no-death run up till after the jail earlier today. I uh... totally forgot about the wave of drones, and my checkpoint tossed me back in the jail (first door). Ungh.

-flech
scurty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried to do both.. I just don't know where to stand. In one of your videos, you counted four strips back, got in the middle, knelt, and waited. That's what I do and it's liek 10% of the time. I was trying to do the second batch too, I killed the last enemy pretty close ot the door but I went too far back at first.

Now, in your run that you spliced together, you didn't sword fly across the bridge with the three elites. Would it be better my way or your way. I'm not sure why the hunters didn't appear in my run because when I practice doing that they appear now :\
flechette
speedrunning ogre
speedrunning ogre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it has to do with how high you are. I just finished another normal run, and I launched off of the turret and got some silly height, and the elite/hunters in the doors didn't spawn. I guess if you had a sniper/sword you could easily launch yourself over, but you'd have to take out the sniper jackal first, and even then things that are alive out there can still wander into the last fight (not often, but they can).

Yeah, about the 'sweet' spot, I have no clue where it is. I try to stand on the center or the front of the third full bar into the room, but uh... as far as I know there's no 100% perfect place to stand. I first noticed I was skipping the enemies when I was on TOP of the middle rooms, so I think it has something to do with verticle, not horizontal. No clue, I wish there was a sparkedit for halo2 so I could check the zones. :P

-flech
scurty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, how about modders? Can they see that kind of stuff? If so I'll go make a topic in them odding forum about it. I'll have to try the third bar, I always thought it was the fourth, maybe that's why it isn't working.

Not a lot of time is spent taking out the sniper jackal.. you could probably even sticky him if you want (I usually have three grenades at this point.. used one on the elite in the previous room). Then you could just sword fly with the FRG.

Also, in my run I had Cortana speak early in the final room.. and the brutes basically killed me. Is there a safe way to get on top of the room with a plasma if this happens without the brutes killing me? I probably wasted a good 1:30 on that alone.
flechette
speedrunning ogre
speedrunning ogre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sadly, no. If she starts before you have shields or while there are brutes about, you're basically toast, and you'll have to be sneaky. What I've tried doing before is moving to the other side of the room, and eventually she'll open the last doors for you. Let the brutes take the brunt of the evil elite squad of doom and you should be able to make it.

hopefully.

Getting up top before the elites come out (and having a way to distract them from your position, either brutes or grenades) is the best way to end that room.

-flech
kwinse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did I miss something or is the run not up yet?
scurty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's in the queue, Cody has to post it.

Flechette can view runs in the queue so he's going to watch it tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be posted soon.
flechette
speedrunning ogre
speedrunning ogre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
first thing I noticed that you may not know about. After you get outside and get into the first hallway, if the brute is walking away from you, and you hit him in the back and his weapon DOESN'T go off, take GREAT CARE to avoid being seen by the jackals. If you run right to the next door, chances are you can avoid having ALL of the next room NOT load. It doesn't happen often, but you could probably have gotten away with it in your run.

You did REALLY well with getting past the jet pack room.

Other then that, there's really no tricks or whatnot that you don't know. Just being able to do it without dying or whatnot, and skipping the enemies in the first room, that's about all that can be done. The jail gave you a heck of a time - getting that cleaner would improve the run tremendously. Very Happy

-flech
scurty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for putting the download link in :)

Yeah, the jail took me 10:21.. ouch.

And about that hallway.. the brute is ALWAYS there for me so I guess I can experiment with it (I think in your segmented run he wasn't there for some reason..).

The jetpack room was an on-the-spot decision. As soon as I started dying, I just tried to experiment.. needless to say I'm going to be doing that from now on.

I think I'll just practice run this over Christmas break and then start recording once I have a very easy way of doing this. So far the jail and the room right after the jail are my biggest concern.
flechette
speedrunning ogre
speedrunning ogre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yay for bumping old topics!

Anyway, I've started running this on legendary again. My first attempt after being cold-turkey from it for so long was 35 minutes. With bunches and bunches of deaths.

Soon, hopefully!

-flech
scurty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally! I hope you beat this by like 10 minutes :P

Will you be using that sword fly I used in mine? I don't think you did that on your walkthrough video of the level.
flechette
speedrunning ogre
speedrunning ogre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Almost certainly. I've actually incorperated something like it into the normal run. Killing the sniper almost always gets an elite into the turret, which lets you get a lunge off. More attempts tomorrow, hopefully with some success.

-flech
scurty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll be waiting for updates. And just try to complete the level a few times. I don't care how many times you die, your end time may be a few minutes faster than mine.. then you can work from there. Obviously your final run would be a no death but work from mine and post your progress if possible :)
Sly Dude

Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. DO NOT READ THIS FOOLS! GT: Sly Dude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is what I think about the gravemind times:
I dunno about Easy.
Normal Sub 9:50 is a good time compaired to what we have now.
Heroic Sub 20 is just an estimate but I believe it could happen.
Legendary sub 30 is far off but it would be a huge relief.
Nice run though.
- Sly Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
flechette
speedrunning ogre
speedrunning ogre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sadly, to bring halo 2 under 2, won't we have to bring legendary down to under 23:30?

-flech
NOKYARD
That Delta Guy

Location: London Ontario Canada - 'it's a fact' Miss Universe 1982 was from London

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
23:00 - i still owe you 30+ seconds off Delta - i'll get back to that this weekend - if that goes well i'll trim a few seconds off some other levels too
EternalSlayer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Isn't it time for a sticky for H2U2?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
scurty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I asked Cody about that but got no reply :P

And, currently, the table stands at 2h 11m 37s.

Take 30 seconds off the Arbiter (Jeff Cousins) and 30 off of Delta Halo, and you get 2h 10m 37s. This means we need 23:11 if I did my math correctly.

If we ever get really close, I'll try to get the Oracle down to it's current optimal time (14:40) and Sacred Icon down by a few via sword flying across the chasm once you reach the outside part of the level.
Sly Dude

Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. DO NOT READ THIS FOOLS! GT: Sly Dude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The optional sword flying really is only used on the Regret, Uprising, and Gravemind runs.
I know the huge levels could go lower but I really don't have time to do anything thats going to be like 20 mins on a good run =S
If someone would maybe head me towards a run and some speedups that I can do that wouldn't be too hard... That would be great. I would really like to speedrun but everything is almost perfect and its just not practical to start.
:S
- Sly Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
slYnki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could just make a thread about H2U2 yourself, and see if it gets stickied Razz.

Just need all the times and that should be good o.o;
scurty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eh, I'd rather Cody do it. After we finalize the Halo Under 2 topic he'll make the Halo 2 one. Besides, there's been at least three Halo 2 Under 2 topics and none of them got stickied.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » High Speed Halo All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: