HIH frontpage
NOTICE TO ALL HIH USERS:

This is the HIH version 2 forum archive, locked and read-only.

-HIH Admin Staff

Steps To Giving and Receiving Criticism

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » Halo Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
* Scaposy *

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Steps To Giving and Receiving Criticism Reply with quote
Lately I have been seeing a lot of flame wars because people can't take the criticism they are receiving. I have also seen replies to movies that have been full of flames. So I make this post trying to stop this.

The Steps of Taking Criticism

If somebody for example says "Hey that was pretty bad. I didn't really like the story, camera angles editing etc..." Don't reply by saying "Well it was my first movie. Geez you just need to shut the H*ll Up!" No. Either reply by saying "Well, can you tell me in a more specific way of how to improve?" or just don't reply at all.

2. Do not start arguments when somebody does not like your movie. I hate to see threads get locked because of arguments that should really take place in pm's or an online messenger.

3. Listen to what the community has to say! If they tell ways to improve and others agree with them, then take there advice. It will make your movie so much better.

4. When somebody says they don't like your movie, don't bring their movies into the argument. That is about as low as you can get.

*I will add more in the following days*

Steps to Giving Criticism:

1. Just about the worst thing you can do is reply by saying "Wow that was terrible! Worst movie ever!" Never say that! Or if your going to say that back it up with ways they can improve.

If you really like a movie don't just reply by saying "Omg that was awesome!!!!" tell them what about it was awesome, so they know what’s good and what’s bad.

3. Be specific when giving Constructive Criticism i.e. "You know I wasn't a fan of this film because the camera angles. They didn't show all of the action etc..." Tell them what not to do and how to improve in that area and tell them what was good about it.

Don't Flame! Period.

*I will add more in the following days*

If you do not agree with these tips or would like to add more either tell me in this thread, pm me or talk to me on aim
Hope these Help out! Very Happy

Last edited by * Scaposy * on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Sniper2477

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
THANK YOU!

Hopefully this will be a sticky and young new people will read this before starting a flamefest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rollbackmon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
really good idea scaposy, hopefully this will get stickied EDIT: yay, it got stickied!

Last edited by rollbackmon on Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AceZenitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you man, we need this, but whoever is starting the flame war is someone who never would in there right mind read something like this.
Not saying anything bad or anything but some people dont read any of these type of posts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tak3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good side to this post= It's helpful and explains what to and not to do.
Bad side= Nobody is goingt o listen to it because...I don't know. People are stubborn.

Well, at least you took the time to make this...

T3
Steve The Plank
Shut the Plank Up!
Shut the Plank Up!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Whenever I lock threads containing posts of people who can't take critiscm, I love seeing their reactions of threats and harassments via AIM and PMs. Great fun!
Seriously though, people really need to learn to grow the hell up and take critiscm for use in future works, so they know what to improve on for next time around. Too many people are acting like god damn babies when it comes to recieving feedback...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sniper2477

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Steve you should make a page dedicated to feedback you get from the people whos thread get locked so EVERYONE can laugh and have a good ol jolly time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheMaker420
Movie News Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yay garrett, it got stickied, nice job man. I'll try to help you out with some more rules later on, right now, I have to go to work, peace.

~Maker

Last edited by TheMaker420 on Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
* Scaposy *

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sweet a sticky Very Happy Thanks Steve!
Anyway I just hope people read this...
Omg A Fish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have some examples of good constructive crit on montages if you want as an example
comradx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheMaker420 wrote:
Yay garrett, it got stickied, nice job man. I'll try to help you out with some more rules later on, right now, I have to go to work, peace.

~Maker

lol...you and yer crazy get-rich-quick schemes...
Slapashrew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah scap i have somthing you can put here that will teach a lot of people about respect for another persons work... you cannot claim that things {such as a map you used to film or a character emblem/colour} are yours... i have had countless pm'ing wars with xypher about that incident with dominic grey and it got us nowhere so alls im saying is that you cannot copyright areas of a film made on halo {this is how 50 percent of pm wars start Rolling Eyes }

nice thread scap... why dont i ever see you on live anymore? Confused Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
king of games

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the tips.
* Scaposy *

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slapashrew wrote:
nice thread scap... why dont i ever see you on live anymore? Confused Very Happy

Well I pretty much quit Halo and HiH so im not going to be on Live as much anymore...

And I'll add your tip when I have another chance... (I have to go to school)
Flames69

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Amazing guide! I just hope people will follow it.
RAnSacK70

Location: ask ur sister to ask her pimp to ask ur mom... she will know

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
also for GIVING critisism. you should tell people to avoid words/phrases like
"sucks" "little kids" "not good enough for hih" ....and the flamers favorite, "dont ever make another movie again you noobs!!"

for RECIEVING critisism, if you make a movie and put it here then someone write a reply like "What crap your such a noob!" then just IGNORE them. the only reason people write/flame like that is for attention, SO DONT GIVE IT TO THEM. the attention they get is a lot of quotes of their post and other peoples opinion about them so again DONT RESPOND TO IT EVEN IF YOUR STANDING UP FOR THE FILMER.... nothing is more embaressing then being in a one sided fight, which will probobly happen to them. they will probbly delete their post or stop writing once they dont get any of their atention that they beg for. of course, they might get flamed by sombody else. which kinda ruins a lot of stuff.

P.S. that would be kinda funny someone started a flame war on this topic.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » Halo Movies All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: