HIH frontpage
NOTICE TO ALL HIH USERS:

This is the HIH version 2 forum archive, locked and read-only.

-HIH Admin Staff

Halo - 11:50

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » High Speed Halo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
insidi0us

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Halo - 11:50 Reply with quote
updated because i said i would...
time has been reduced to 11:50 on easy, from 12:01.

notes (*EDITED*):

i had previously thought my first half was slower than my 12:01 run.
this conclusion came from the fact that i played it sloppily... but in fact,
i started the area about half a second earlier, and i moved from dropship
to dropship quicker... Shocked so here i was watching both side by side, and they
started lining up, cuz of slight differences, and then when foehammer called in...
it was like an echo... almost perfectly tied with my other self... but then in my 12:01,
i got in the hog late.. so new run = faster beginning... MUCH to my surprise.

grabbed the sniperifle just as fast, and then lost 5 seconds in the whole slidejump/underground sequence

gained back 10 seconds in the rock area, due to stylish sniping and lucky marine layout.
this put me at exactly 7 seconds ahead of my previous run, just before entering the hill area.

then because all the marines were mad at me, and some better fighting at the last dropship,
i did the ending 4 seconds faster.
yayyyyyyyyyy.

run analysis:
i tried to talk to the wrong marine after dropship#1... so that was silly. i fell off the structure and destroyed my health, and thus didnt get to go where i wanted, but this didnt lose any time. i faught like garbage at both of these dropships, then went to the back and wasted what, 2 frags? lol. lost a few seconds here. back to the front, i guess i didnt do bad here. [my pistol was off all night, so (apart from my amazing flick-headshots on the marines, and an occasional covie) nothing to brag about regarding my pistol... in fact, its pretty ugly later in the run as well.]

killed all the first-structure marines, got them angry, 1-shotted the guy in the hog turret, which looked funny and cool.
made the jump up to the switch, barely, and wasted another nade on my hog in an attempt to bring it closer. i guess you could say it worked out though, cuz i flipped the hog on my way down and it turned around pretty quick when i started driving.

after driving up the hill, i grabbed the sniperifle real fast (i used to take it slower cuz sometimes i would hit X and enter the hog without my sniper, but scurty motivated me to perfect it.) then i stupidly missed the slide jump into the underground base (i can normally fly right into the opening about 19/20 tries... its gorgeous... but of course, i was being a slob all game. the only plus from this, was that my hog was slightly angled and away from the wall, so getting out was easier, and probly got me all the lost time right back. its just not as pretty Sad oh well)

on to the rock section... ive never sniped the sniper so fast... and then 1 frag, a plasma, and a snipe and im out... probly the fastest ive ever done this section during a run. then to the hill... the marines were mad at me!! omg YAY.
this means i can shoot them all with red-reticle-ease, they dont talk to cortana, the covie dropship comes asap, and game over.
the ending is the only reason i destroyed my previous time - and if i ever try this map again, which i just might - ill be killing ALL the marines i EVER see... anywhere. cuz they are useless.

hope you guys like this... there are some goods, some very bads, and some funnies. i think im going to have some free time this weekend though, so i'll see if i can combine all the goods and bring the time even lower.

Last edited by insidi0us on Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
EternalSlayer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aaaargh...so...many Speedruns, must...watch...

Aaah, sweetness, great run.
Half the time I though you'd take too long killing the marines but it worked out really well, congrats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
slYnki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shocked Shocked

That run kicked ass! The grenade hop at the beginning was just.... great. I was always looking at the ground, throwing a frag, then doing the hop. That was much faster. The beginning fighting was great, driving was great. The whole warthog bit by the energy bridge was just too much. The jump you did with the warthog to get to the first bit of marines was great. The fighting was superb all around, great run!

I can't wait to see the 11:55 you're speaking of. To do that, you'd have to have perfect fights all around I would suspect. I didn't really see too many instances where you could have sped the run up, except at the end. When you drive the warthog to the marines, is that necessary? Because I was thinking you could just go and run over all of the covenant, and then snipe the ones coming out of the dropship. I don't know anything about Halo, so whatever.

Great run Very Happy!
insidi0us

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks Wink

actually, the end is super important, and very inconsistent.
first cortana hasta be all like "there are some marines! hiding in the hills
above the structure!" like omigodz.
then u gotta start killing sh!t, and stay near the marines, cuz they hafta tell you
how like, theyre in a bad way, and that they have wounded here..
then cortana hasta says mkay lemme call ina dropship to picks em up.

THEN the covenant dropship will come...
im beginning to think its regardless of how many covies you've killed, but solely
dependant on the marines and cortana getting all their bullsh!t dialogue outta the way.
the dropship came for me when i was standing under the structure... THATS not normal, cuz i cant duplicate it.
next week or late late tonite (im busy all weekend) i'll be trying a slightly
different approach at the end. im gonna hang back up on the hill, at the expense of killing covies slower,
get the dropship to come, and go all out with no-scopes on jackals n sh!t. Very Happy

i hope you enjoyed all my intentional typos and grammatical errors.
kwinse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not that it looks especially bad next to your poetic line breaks (and I'm not saying they're bad Wink). Will watch after the new Keyes run...

EDIT: Nicely done! Smile

Last edited by kwinse on Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
InfiniZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow...yet another awesome run from you! Keep em comming and we got Halo under 77 down pat!
slYnki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, it's just Halo in 77:00, because that looks cool Razz. We have the ability to go lower, but 77:00 is just too good to pass up.
NOKYARD
That Delta Guy

Location: London Ontario Canada - 'it's a fact' Miss Universe 1982 was from London

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Halo - 12:01 - easy - insidi0us Reply with quote
insidi0us wrote:
couldnt have done it better myself Very Happy

i loved that line

pure controlled insanity - what an amazing run!

and your route, wow! - i'm not sure why but i always thought you had to end the level by the underground structure - it was always maddening for me, trying to find all the covies scattered around that area
scurty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same with me, Nok. If we took that route, it's be impossible to do it in 12 minutes.

When I first started doign this level I always got around liek 14 minutes by going the cliff-hill-rock route. There were FOUR dropships in the rock area though so that wasn't too good ;) Going insidi0us's route my lowest time was 12.22 but I average high 12s. How he can get low 12s all the time I don't know, it's an amazing run as is his 12.04 run.
slYnki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've just thought of something. Part of Cortana's dialog starts when you enter that last area directly (not the way you entered it). All you'd have to do then is go up, get the marines to talk, then drive the warthog back down the hill and run over some covies Smile. The dropship comes down anyways. Atleast, that's how I remember it. It could be a possible speed-up, but I don't know @_@;
insidi0us

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
is it just me or does anyone else end up missing at least some of the covies
while trying to get them under your tires? plus theres lots of trees and rocks Confused

i find it easier to shoot them - especially on easy.
but still... like i said... im gonna hang up at the top of the cliff,
even if it feels like its gonna take longer.
the marines gotta talk, and cortana HASTA say shes gonna call in the dropship.
then its clean up time, and as quick as possible too.

i just hate getting to this point of the map, and then the dropship not coming;
so i need something consistent. unfortunately i doubt i will have any updates
until next week... if you guys experiment, post here any thoughts.

thanks again for takin the 12 minutes to watch a low-qual of this.

this thing WILL go sub-12 Very Happy
NOKYARD
That Delta Guy

Location: London Ontario Canada - 'it's a fact' Miss Universe 1982 was from London

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
maybe there is a way to speedup the last fight

with more bullets...lots more bullets

after the speeches are done load the hog with a passenger (sniper) and a chaingunner and drop them off where they have a good LOS near the pick-up spot (the others should follow as well) - this will also draw the covies to one area and you can pick-off the strays
insidi0us

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
good idea... ill try it this morning.
i only have about an hour to mess with this, then im gone all day.
i'll post anything i find out.
insidi0us

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
arright... been at my girlfriends house since last nite, and shes at work so i had a chance to mess around in this level, but without recording.
i didnt exactly do what nok suggested (i tried it... but the marines dont talk when u are driving them around, so u gotta hop out and run back up to the hill and get one of them to speak... and they can shoot when they arent in a hog anyways, so it almost defeats the purpose)
but staying up in the hills to snipe covies is the way to go. cortana says "there are some marines hiding in the hills above the structure..." then something about the pillar of autumn's crash site.. then if u are staring at, or a least standing close to any one of the marines in the hills, he will tell you how pretty a site for sore eyes you are... cortana may still be talking at the time, but when she finishes, she will say "ill call in a dropship to pick them up"
if, by this time, you've killed both elites that are down at the bottom of the hill, and at least a couple of the grunts, the covie dropship will be on its way.

so the triggering factors are... the marines complaining, cortana offering to call a pelican, and killing BOTH elites, some grunts.
not positive on the exact number of covies that need to be dead, but both elites definitely hafta be. usually the sniper marine will get one while ur getting the other.

so as a result of all this info... i should be able to get good at this and everything before it, and maybe ill get this below 11:55... we'll see how it plays out when im recording.
insidi0us

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
- *UPDATE* -
(edited first post with new description)

got halo down to 11:50

not sure why i didnt think of this... maybe it just seemed a little too immoral.
but killing all the marines at the first section makes it easier to get the gunner
out of the hog with one pistol shot. then, for some reason, at the VERY end of the map, at the hill section, the marines were mad at me. this made for the biggest speedup of all... and i killed them all off, then went for the covies.

so when i try this map again tonight, i'm gonna kill any and every marine i see. then, if my pistol is on, and i nail all the slide jumps and marine killing, i can get this into the 11:45 range.
StuporMan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In one of the variety vids I saw (I believe it was Ms. Man) launch across the lightbridge gap in SP using 2 plasma nades. Would this possibly speed up the run any or does that prevent the level from ending by causing certain things not to load?

edit: Sorry, I forgot to congratulate you first! Awesome run!

Now, I double checked the vid, and I was incorrect about what I said. It was not the same gap, and it appeared to only be one plasma grenade. I still think the same could be done, but again it is a question of will the end of the level load. I may look into this after I get done with Keyes and its cutscene.

StuporMan
insidi0us

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i think you'd be hard pressed to get the hog over the gap as well.
by the time u set it all up, you'd be way behind just turning the bridge on.
plus, with enough force to get the hog across, you'd never survive. Confused
unless you did one of those tricky launch things where the hog just pushes
you... i've never even attempted that, ever... so i wouldnt know.
StuporMan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You most likely are right, but it is worth a shot at any rate. Two quick plasma grenade throws, hop back in the hog, drive forward, get thrown across the gap would be at least 6 seconds faster than triggering the lightbridge. I will go ahead and test this once I am done with Keyes (but that likely will be a while).

Oh, and for it to be of any benefit the hog would have to come with you. Otherwise all the time gained would be lost from having to walk around to each area. So doing the "tricky launch thing" would probably not end up working right.

One other thing to note, I have never gotten a marine to drop a grenade in front of the light bridge when I killed him. Ever. I have done this 20+ times and each time both marines failed to drop a grenade. So reasonably at most you could use 2 plasmas and a frag to try and make the jump. If that cannot get you across, then I think this method is out of luck.

StuporMan
WLT
Shakeycam Dude
Shakeycam Dude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quick run, very nice Smile I think this way of crossing the lightbridge is the best because the other one is impossible.
themann1086

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StuporMan,

I think it was Ducain who did that trick, but I'm not sure. It's definitely in the archives though. Somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » High Speed Halo All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: