HIH frontpage
NOTICE TO ALL HIH USERS:

This is the HIH version 2 forum archive, locked and read-only.

-HIH Admin Staff

hmmm, it's been done, why can't I even find it?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » General Modding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystievel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: hmmm, it's been done, why can't I even find it? Reply with quote
Ok first question, which one is easier?
1. To add A harddrive to my xbox with more memory (for putting games onto that I already own (like morrowind, it keeps crashing cus of the "dirty disk" or something))
2. Or to add an EXTERNAL harddrive with more memory for putting games onto?

Q2.

how do I do it??! I searched and found a page, then didn't book mark it and now I can't find anything on google. So can someone point me into a direction for where I can do this?

(PS, I'd rather do an external harddrive, but if not, then whatever, I'd rather to the easier one)
EDIT: Oh yeah and I have The UnleashX Softmod for my xbox dashboard or whatever. (If this is usefull information)
Thanks SOOO much for whoever can help! Very Happy
B0arder606

Location: I am now installing modchips, and usb ports ask about anything else.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
the first choice is by far the easiest. All you have to do is buy the drive format it and pop it in where with an external drive you would have to buy extra cables etc. So the first choice is easier and looks nicer. it is very easy to format a new hard drie with a chip but it is hard to format it with a softmod which i know you have. with a softmod you would have to be able to pop in another drive into your pc and make it boot off a disk then format the drive...I can install a chip and new hard drive for you for $50(duox2 chip) plus the cost of the hard drive if you want
Snow Rider221

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
B0arder606 wrote:
the first choice is by far the easiest. All you have to do is buy the drive format it and pop it in where with an external drive you would have to buy extra cables etc. So the first choice is easier and looks nicer. it is very easy to format a new hard drie with a chip but it is hard to format it with a softmod which i know you have. with a softmod you would have to be able to pop in another drive into your pc and make it boot off a disk then format the drive...I can install a chip and new hard drive for you for $50(duox2 chip) plus the cost of the hard drive if you want

not a bad price boarder. Don't you think you should install a few more chips before taking someones money to do it...

i know your experienced and everything, but i installed over 10 modchips successfully before taking my first order online.
Mystievel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
nah dude, I'm totally doing this myself (cus I don't want other people to feel bad if they screw up, etc). Could I get like a complete tutorial or something? You do not need to take the time to write it out though, just a link to somewhere else would be great. Very Happy

Oh but which one is easier to do with a softmod? You recommended nonexternal, but which would be easier? (see, I already have an external, so it would be cool to just plug it in and out whenever I wanted to) If that is even possible.
B0arder606

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
well thats a good idea snowrider but i dont need 10 modded xboxs for myself...and im not making them to sell for people not to buy them which will prolly happen. But i garuntee that i wouldnt scrrew up
B0arder606

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
double post owell....i just read the rest of your pst...if you were to plug in the external hdd it would treat it as a big ass memory card and you coulnt launch the games off it prolly...try it with a flash drive and a program to test its preetty much the same thing. good luck i would go with a big hard drive upgrade though
|Mimesis| DWells55

Location: You actually read the locations? XBLGamertag: DWells55X Xbox: Blue v1.0 100GB Xbox 360: v1.0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I doubt you could do an external drive and launch games off it - it would have to be an exact clone of the normal HDD as well, and god knows how it would be read in a game. Need a special BIOS.
B0arder606

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
|Mimesis| DWells55 wrote:
Yeah, I doubt you could do an external drive and launch games off it - it would have to be an exact clone of the normal HDD as well, and god knows how it would be read in a game. Need a special BIOS.

I think his point was to just launch games off of it, it would be impossible to make it load the dash ect off of it. so it would just be like a giant memory card...you could if u had a chip because the hdd in the external drive isnt lockable you could just use that as a main hdd but you would still have to format it...hopefully u understood that cause i dont think i did from waht i wrote... Laughing
Agent ME

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could easily get a USB hard drive, connect it via an xbox USB adapter, format it as a memory unit, and then put stuff on it and use it as a super-huge memory unit, that can also hold other stuff.

Well, that's been done with a USB Flashdrive before, not 100% sure if it will work with a USB hard drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dojorkan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
While we are on the tpic of hardrives and extra space.

I have three xboxes.
My modded one.
My XBL one
And the when that was modded and I aciddentally deleted everything from
How can I use the one where I deleted everything from and ad that too my current modded xbox?
B0arder606

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
you wwould have to unlock the drive or install a chip into that box too fix it
Agent ME

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can't really combine two IDE hard drives for use at the same time in an xbox. Maybe an IDE and a USB hard drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
|Mimesis| DWells55

Location: You actually read the locations? XBLGamertag: DWells55X Xbox: Blue v1.0 100GB Xbox 360: v1.0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dojorkan wrote:
While we are on the tpic of hardrives and extra space.

I have three xboxes.
My modded one.
My XBL one
And the when that was modded and I aciddentally deleted everything from
How can I use the one where I deleted everything from and ad that too my current modded xbox?

If you have the EEPROM for #3, it's fixable with XboxHDM. If not, chip it.
B0arder606

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agent ME wrote:
You can't really combine two IDE hard drives for use at the same time in an xbox. Maybe an IDE and a USB hard drive.

yea you kinda can...you cant make them work at the same time but you can make it so that you can have 2 in the same case and thats what he prolly meant.
Mystievel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
k, can we please get back to the subject though. sorry you guys, I have basically no knowledge of computers. Do I need a modchip to flash a bios (or whatever you do)? What is a flashdrive? What is a USB flashdrive? What is concidered to be a USB memory unit???

K yeah, that should basically show how much of this stuff I know, isn't there just a tutorial somewhere step by step with pictures to show how either one of these are done? I appreciate the help, but I am getting lost reallllly easily.
MasterSniper911

Location: Making a more Politically, Grammatically, and Spellingly correct post than your's|Canadian and Proud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay a modchip allows you to run a new BIOS which allows your Xbox HD (HardDrive) to be unlocked and being able to fix your broken Xbox. Also, modchips allow you to put in a brand new HD (with some work involved) and put whatever you want on there. The easiest way to do this is by some tutorials either on this site or on: "www.xbox-scene.com". You will find the nessasary information on that site. Basically you will copy everything thats on the Xbox HD (right now) and paste it onto a higher capacity HD. This does require some computer knowlage and if you are to afraid to do this I suggest just giving up. To answer your questions:

1. Do you need a modchip to flash a BIOS? Yes a softmod cannot do this
2. What is a flashdrive? It is like a USB memory stick like a MP3 player that has a USB connection but has no power source and can just hold information (useful at school for projects etc.)
3. What is a USB flashdrive? Their is no such thing as a non-USB flashdrive so it is the same as above
4. What is concidered to be a USB memory unit? Basically you put an adaptor on your Xbox controller for USB then once put in it will ask you to format whatever you plug in and you say: "Yes" and voila you have your own memory unit (mostly used for the Flashdrive and then formatting it and putting stuff on it). But, has 2 drawbacks:
-You cant plug your Flashdrive into your computer after you format it on Xbox without "special" software
-You cant use it like a HD (booting Halo 2 maps) it is only for holding Videos, Pictures and so on. Does anyone know if it is possible to boot Halo 2's .xbe from a USB memory stick? I have not tried but would require a USB Harddrive...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Agent ME

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah you can use it to play games and so. Well I'm pretty sure you can. You can run .xbe's from DVD's and the hard drive, so I don't see what'd stop you from running it on a memory unit.

Someone try copying an app to a memory unit, and seeing if you can start it from UnleashX's file manager or something.
PigFarker (Piggy)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agent ME wrote:
Yeah you can use it to play games and so. Well I'm pretty sure you can. You can run .xbe's from DVD's and the hard drive, so I don't see what'd stop you from running it on a memory unit.

Someone try copying an app to a memory unit, and seeing if you can start it from UnleashX's file manager or something.

Just tried running Mimesis, and what happens is my xbox says loading Mimesis, fades out, then reloads UnleashX. Same with Halo 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
B0arder606

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
yea figured it would do that, you would have to use a gamesave exploit...aka make one for each gae/ program and store it on the memory card so then u boot it from the game...good luck with that though its pointless just buy a bigger internal hdd
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    High Impact Halo Forum Index » General Modding Discussion All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: