Change font size  

Whats wrong with ending.

Post any and ALL Halo 2 trick discussion here.

Moderators: el-sphinxinator, Dark Helmet, FrogBlast, goatrope

Whats wrong with ending.

Postby buttons » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:11 pm

I think it sounds kind of cool, and if they didn't make it a cliffhanger not as many would get Halo 3.
buttons
Veteran

Re: Whats wrong with ending.

Postby Pkabooicu » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:17 pm

buttons wrote:I think it sounds kind of cool, and if they didn't make it a cliffhanger not as many would get Halo 3.

Yes, but poeple expected a better one than him goin g back to earth or w/e...lol :)

Society today as we all know it is really sad. Everyone goes balistic if a video game doesnt end well. lol :|
Pkabooicu
Old Hand

Postby FuzzyWhisper » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:53 pm

There's absolutely no reason for the massive outcry about the alleged "huge letdown" at the end of the game--at least not that I could find.

I enjoyed it. Hugely. I also feel it was completely appropriate: the tone, context, and build-up were all nailed dead-on, and the actual climax was nothing short of masterful in its execution.

I think most people's inherent desire for closure--for resolution--is what kept them from accepting and even appreciating the "abrupt ending" for what it truly is. The original Halo's conclusion was perhaps more immediately satisfying due to its straightforward nature and the fact that virtually the entire game takes place on Installation 04, but Halo 2's is arguably far richer when the overall story arc is taken into consideration.

Here is just some of what Halo 2's story accomplishes in (roughly) 10 short hours:

- The intricacies of the Covenant hierarchy are defined, as well as the society's political and spiritual traditions.

- Several important historical events of great relevance to early Covenant history are revealed.

- The motives of the Covenant are clearly established.

- The purpose of the Halos is now conclusively confirmed.

- The mystery of the Forerunners' disappearance is answered.

But perhaps more importantly are the yet-unanswered questions, as well as the new ones. The most important of which, I feel, are:

- Why, precisely, has the Covenant never sought to assimilate the human race? Surely our creative genius and strong spirit would be invaluable if harnessed to serve some--*ahem*--greater purpose. This has been hinted at in multiple places in the canon, but easily the most prominent of these instances is the conversation that takes place between two Elites; as recorded candidly in the transcript found in the appropriately titled "Conversation from the Universe" booklet, which may or may not be exclusive to the Collector's Edition version of the game (I don't know because I only purchased the latter.

- What will become of the Covenant now that strife has been visited on their once stable coalition. It seems to me that there is a very real and immediate danger of their society dissolving into ruin, what with the changing of the guard and, coincidentally, the Elites' fall from favor.

- Might a permanent truce between the human and Elite races be feasible? With the help of the Arbiter and those of a like mind, one never knows....

- What are Gravemind's motives?

- What IS Gravemind, precisely? Could he (I'll use this gender designation for simplicity's sake) be tied in some way to the Flood? Perhaps even have something to do with its origin? The second idea seems likely. The third can, at this time, only be addressed with educated conjecture.

- What and where is the Ark? It may be presumptuous to follow this line of thought just yet, but we do know that its purpose is to remotely activate the combined might of all seven (now six, of course) Halos. We also know that 343 Guilty Spark is probably aware of its location, and that John (AKA Spartan 117 AKA the Master Chief, which I'd like to assume is common knowledge by now but include this to accommodate the newcomers) is intent on going there.

- Might this Ark yield further clues to the nature of the Forerunners; clues that could be relevant to the human race or one of the Halo universe's other main players?

- How long ago were the Halos originally fired? Is it not remarkable that the Human and Covenant civilizations are so advanced after such a cataclysmic purging of the known galaxy? Or is this question ridiculous given the lack of a clear temporal context?

- How is it that the Flood survived this great purge?

- What--if any--connection do the Spartans have to the Forerunners?

- Finally, what are the good Dr. Halsey, Kelly and the other rogue Spartans up to? The First Strike novel seemed to strongly imply an appearance by one or more of these important characters in the game. Most curious.

One more issue that I hesitate to lump with the above group is that of the Engineers and their conspicuous absence from the Halo 2 campaign. One would think a race as important to the Covenant solidarity would merit, at the very least, a cameo. As many of you know, a fully rendered and quite well polished model was created, but mysteriously never saw the light of day.

Well, it looks as if we have a lot on our plate right now. I am confident that the key (or hints to the key) to at least several of the above mysteries can be found within the campaign as it currently stands. If anyone has any thoughts, theories or comments about the above, feel free to post.

Cheers,

-FW
FuzzyWhisper
Greenhorne

Postby Enigmatist » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:54 am

A couple of your questions were addressed in Halo 2 (i'm pretty sure). Playing through the campaign was the initial highlight for me, and I payed attention to the story as closely as possible.

On assimilation: The covenant felt as though humans would be more of a weakness than a committed follower. They fear insurrection and espianoge. Finally, humans are too fickle. These are implied in the conversations booklet and in some of the banter during cinematics.

Flood Survival: It's well known that much evidence exists of research facilities and activities thereof. For example: Anthrax and Smallpox - two dangerous and highly contagious pathogens are almost completely eradicated from the planet. Ask yourself--why do they still exist? Because we have chosen to keep the specimens, for research.

Finally - the Gravemind: Cortana referred to Gravemind as "Flood AI" during that level in campaign. She commented on its remarkable ability to communicate and manipulate throughout the installation. I'm almost positive that the Gravemind is the root of the Flood.

Enigmatist
Enigmatist
Veteran

Postby FuzzyWhisper » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:54 am

Most illuminating, Enigmatist. Thank you for the reply.

I think all of this warrants further study. For the time being, the best course of action would probably be to scour the Campaign for any missed details. I'll post my findings immediately if I uncover anything, of course. Until then, I look forward to further input from anyone with something to say.

EDIT: An interesting thought just occured to me...

Given Bungie's infamous predilection for cramming their games full of intriguing and occasionally obscure literary references, I wonder if this "Ark" is, in fact, located on Earth. That would explain Master Chief's return to the planet at the end of the game, and would also fit in nicely with the familiar tale of Noah from the Bible, albeit very loosely.

-FW
FuzzyWhisper
Greenhorne

Postby MyKeyboardGotDamaged » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:36 am

I think its implied that the ship MC is on is in fact that ark... it is a forerunner ship, after all
MyKeyboardGotDamaged
Greenhorne

Postby FuzzyWhisper » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:56 am

Oh? I didn't get that impression. You may very well be correct, but I'd prefer to have something a bit more conclusive than an implication before dismissing this altogether.

-FW
FuzzyWhisper
Greenhorne

Postby Daybreaker » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:21 am

MyKeyboardGotDamaged wrote:I think its implied that the ship MC is on is in fact that ark... it is a forerunner ship, after all

That was my first thought when I saw the ending, that the ship MC and Truth were on is the Ark. Of course this is only an assumption.
Daybreaker
Veteran

Postby Greg687 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:17 pm

My first post here, but I have to tell you, my first impression is that EARTH is the ark. Probably wrong, but to have the ark (the forerunner ship) actually on the installation does not make sense. My other thought, while playing, was "Wow! it feels like the first time I saw Star Wars!" Great story, and all set up for Halo 3 to come out when the next XBox get released :)

Greg
Greg687
Greenhorne

Postby LoadedDice » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:32 pm

If Bungie is making Halo into some sort of trilogy then think about it, most continuing trilogies second part is kind of a cliff hanger. Empire Strikes Back was a great movie. Matrix Reloaded left you saying what but in the final movie it was explained (more or less, those guys are a little weird). At least it didn't turn out like Terminator 2. I think whenever Halo 3 comes out people will appreciate Halo 2 more.
LoadedDice
Veteran

Postby Avtraz » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:37 pm

Nice Avitar LoadedDice.
Where'd you get it?
Avtraz
Veteran

Postby Lord_Ne0 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:15 pm

This is only my opinion. But hopefully letting people on this forum know my ideas will help them get disected, and eventually kept or tossed away.

But i think the Ark is earth, or somewhere on it. New mombosa is what im thinking. Look at the facts. In the beginning the earth had what, 300, orbital defense platforms. The Covenant were losing ships, and only brought 15 cruisers....They used 750+ to destroy Reach. So obviously they do not want earth destroyed. In the book there was one more planet they did not want destroyed, and if i remember correctly, it was Sigma Octanus IV. They did not want it destroyed because of what...Because of the stones they found that had the same pattern as the coordinates of Halo. In Halo 2 a few capital ships make a charge through the defenses of earth, and straight to new mombosa. A few minutes later you finish that mission and sgt. Johnson is saying something like "The covenant choose one place on earth to land, and it has to be here. I want some answers."

Bla Bla Bla...in the end they start talking about the arc, and then it switches over to MC who is now at earth, which is apparently under heavy assult. Maybe earth gets destroyed, maybe the covenant find what they wanted. Maybe it is something no one expects.

Thats my 2 cents about it.
Lord_Ne0
Greenhorne

Postby Darkiller » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:14 pm

I got a small but possibly helpful thought to add to this. If the flood could go into stasis from the last time they were released to when chief and the covenant release them on instalation 04 (which I think was well over a million years) then couldn't they just do that again whenever the halos unleash the ultimate weapon?
Darkiller
Veteran

Postby spartan30 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:08 pm

I think that the Forerunner ship isn't the ark couse why didn't the Covanent Prophet Truth activate the halos, instead of going to Earth.

-I also think that the gravemind is the flood "queen", couse on the 2nd last LVL Cotnana tells MC that the gravemind used them as a distraction for the flood to invade the Convanent holy city.

-In Halo 2 they also say that the Forerunner activated the rings and whiped them selves out, I have a question though, why would and advanced race commit mass sucide? Maybe they had thoughs of a great journey, or killed themselves to stop the flood from spreading, or they did it to stop some unknown race, or something else from spreading.

-One of my theroys is that a Halo ring got knocked out of orbit and the forerunner activated the rings, but they didn't know that the one ring was misplaced, so they unkowingly killed themslelves.

-Another therory of mine is that the Forerunner are Covenent that tried the great journey, and found out that it ain't so great.

-My last theory is that the Forerunner are humans, and they started up the rings to recycle life and start anew, a new world without war and all nations at peace, well they never suspected the Covanent coming into play.
spartan30
Greenhorne

Postby shadowbreaker513 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:13 pm

- What and where is the Ark? It may be presumptuous to follow this line of thought just yet, but we do know that its purpose is to remotely activate the combined might of all seven (now six, of course) Halos. We also know that 343 Guilty Spark is probably aware of its location, and that John (AKA Spartan 117 AKA the Master Chief, which I'd like to assume is common knowledge by now but include this to accommodate the newcomers) is intent on going there. q

i thought the ark was the ship that popped out at earth that MC was on. and i want to know what else gravemind has brought back to life like he did the Prophet of Regret
shadowbreaker513
Greenhorne

Next

Return to Halo 2 Discussion- BEWARE SPOILERS!