Change font size  

Whats wrong with ending.

Post any and ALL Halo 2 trick discussion here.

Moderators: el-sphinxinator, Dark Helmet, FrogBlast, goatrope

Postby Hazardous Psyche » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:30 pm

Ok, first post blah blah blah.

First off, I was slightly disappointed (not let down) in the ending, probably because I didn't expect it to end that way, but nontheless, AWESOME.

Ok Ark stuff: The Forerunner Ship is definitely not the Ark. Why? For the simple fact that Prophet would have activated the Halos from there and gone to Earth. That said, I think the Ark of the Covanent will be either in New Mombasa or in the Middle East. My arguement is split. New Mombasa because that's the only place the Covies landed. And the Middle East because this would be where I'd put an Ark if I was Bungie (religious reference, which Halo is full of right down to John's armor and the Brute Chieftan (can't think of his name right now, but I remember seeing it while looking around for mythology stuff)).

As for Gravemind (I didn't hear everything said about it because my siblings wouldn't shut up), I believe it is either the first Flood or what created the Flood. If not, it has some connection with the Flood. Personally, I am more interested in what goes on between the Gravemind and Cortana (is anymore revealed on legedary or am I getting an ass whopping for nothing?).

I, however, am ultimately concerned with one thing: Why have I never seen a food nipple?
Hazardous Psyche
Greenhorne

Postby shadowbreaker513 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:45 pm

Tartarus is the lowest region of the world, as far below earth as earth
is from heaven
shadowbreaker513
Greenhorne

Postby Darkiller » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:18 pm

Hmmm about gravemind. If anyone here has ever played the game Starcraft and actually played through the whole campaign (which I admit I haven't but I get the just of it) then they would know about the zerg, which are the alien race bent on something I'm just not sure what. Anyhow, they have a central being known as the overmind which pretty much controls them.
Now I think that this relationship among the flood isn't so much different. I think that the flood isn't just multiple beings, I think it is one symbiotic (pretty sure thats the word I'm looking for) being that is connected towards each other somehow (most likely telekineses or something to that efect). Then gravemind is an/the overmind for that halo or all the flood as a race. This would explain why the flood act with as a species not an individual. Like for instance, why would you need to have combat flood? I mean once an infection finds a body, don't you think it would just go somewhere and live a happy life on it's own? Well they don't and that just supports my idea that the combat go around killing other things so that the infections have dead to feast on (which, no matter what that terrified marine in 343 gs says I'm convinced that they infect dead mostly the dead but can hypothetically infect the living, but then there was that prophet, and you know i'm not so sure anymore now that I think about it). Well anyway thanks for bearing with me.

EDIT: just thought up another point. Carrier flood. I mean who wants to kill themselves just for the further spread of thier race. Only a symbiotic parasitic being thats what.
Darkiller
Veteran

Postby The_Janitor » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:04 pm

Everybody is making quite a big deal out of the ending, I think it was fine...
The_Janitor
Veteran

Postby EvilTape » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:07 pm

Me too.
EvilTape
Veteran

Postby Hazardous Psyche » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:34 pm

Darkiller wrote:Hmmm about gravemind. If anyone here has ever played the game Starcraft and actually played through the whole campaign (which I admit I haven't but I get the just of it) then they would know about the zerg, which are the alien race bent on something I'm just not sure what. Anyhow, they have a central being known as the overmind which pretty much controls them.
Now I think that this relationship among the flood isn't so much different. I think that the flood isn't just multiple beings, I think it is one symbiotic (pretty sure thats the word I'm looking for) being that is connected towards each other somehow (most likely telekineses or something to that efect). Then gravemind is an/the overmind for that halo or all the flood as a race. This would explain why the flood act with as a species not an individual. Like for instance, why would you need to have combat flood? I mean once an infection finds a body, don't you think it would just go somewhere and live a happy life on it's own? Well they don't and that just supports my idea that the combat go around killing other things so that the infections have dead to feast on (which, no matter what that terrified marine in 343 gs says I'm convinced that they infect dead mostly the dead but can hypothetically infect the living, but then there was that prophet, and you know i'm not so sure anymore now that I think about it). Well anyway thanks for bearing with me.

EDIT: just thought up another point. Carrier flood. I mean who wants to kill themselves just for the further spread of thier race. Only a symbiotic parasitic being thats what.

When I first started reading this post, I wanted to beat my face into a wall because I am sick of the Starcraft-Halo connections. 'it haz 3 raeces iti s jsut liek stracartf!'

Lucky for you, you made an intelligent observation. yey! *hands out cookie* =)
Hazardous Psyche
Greenhorne

A couple of answers

Postby NinjaMouse20X6 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:54 am

Just finished reading the Halo Novel "The Flood" and it answered at least one question I've seen raised... 343 guilty spark hasn't spoken to one of the forerunners in 101,217 local years [pg 238 says thats how long its been since he was left in charge] So if thats when halo fired, wouldn't all life have been erased from Earth too? Or at least everything of any reasonable size? Of course local years could be much much longer than Earth years, maybe halo killed the dinosaurs. :O)

Additionally there are a few references that got me thinking, first one of the profits says something amounting too all living things are drawn to the forerunner tech. Secondly there is all the stuff about MC instinctivly understanding FR tech. There have been several sci fi stories (including Star Trek and Outer Limits Episodes) where an elder race "seeds" planets to help steer evolution toward sentience leaving behind clues that the younger races will inevitably find. Perhaps the FR, knowing they would all die by activating the rings, did something similar.
NinjaMouse20X6
Greenhorne

Postby Enigmatist » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:34 am

Whoa, what a can of worms we seem to have opened...but a good one. As for the Ark thing.... We know the Ark is the destination for one who needs remote access to the Halos. 343 says so.

SOOO, that being the case, think of any real-world situation where you're about to remotely detonate a really dangerous weapon. Where do you stand in relation to the weapon's blast? Far far away, preferrably in or behind a pre-established structure built specifically to protect you from said detonation.

Now then, the line of reasoning here is established, we can also cite the obvious reference of the Ark from the Bible which was the only thing in the world which kept a handful of survivors from the fate of the huge what? Flood. But in this case, the comparison is obvious - Refuge from a universal (relatively) eradication of all sentient life.

I DO NOT think the MC was on the Ark at the final cutscene. He had a job to finish, remember? Check the storyline again through the last half of the game and really pay attention and see if you really think MC is on the Ark.

I also believe that some forerunners are still alive (someone posted earlier that such intelligent beings would not have eradicated themselves).
Why would they need facilities to study the flood if they were dead? Perhaps the forerunners played a part in the birth of the Spartan?

AND WHY DON"T WE EVER SEE MC'S FACE? WHAT"S TO HIDE???

(we know he's a guy - so there's no repeats of the samus aran fiasco)

Enigmatist
Enigmatist
Veteran

Postby FuzzyWhisper » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:03 am

Great stuff, everyone. While I don't currently have enough time to address the most recent subjects that have been brought up in this discussion, I will say this in response to Enigmatist's last remark:

The reason MC's face has never been revealed is because, as Bungie has stated several times, keeping it a mystery means the player can decide who's under the mask for themselves, thus making the Master Chief character far easier for virtually anyone to identify with.

We already know that he's not an exotic alien hybrid or something equally fantastical because of the Halo novels, but rather a male human. Anything beyond that is up to you to decide.

-FW
FuzzyWhisper
Greenhorne

true

Postby Enigmatist » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:13 am

Very true, Fuzzy.

I remember Bungie creators saying that on making-of videos.
Enigmatist
Veteran

Postby Greg687 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:57 am

enigmatist,
I was thinking about this last night too. Biblical references. Think about this... in the bible it references the "ark of the covenant". how is that for coincidence?
I still think it's on earth. MC doesnt know about the 'ark' when he says his last line "to finish this war"... he is just trying to stop the prophets from activating Halo. The only ones who know about the ark in the story are the Arbiter, Cortana, Keyes (daughter), and Sgt Johnson? and the Oracle of course. The prophets might, but that is never verified in the story. So, like any good story, all the plot lines will start to come together.
Dont mind my rambling... I like trying to guess the endings before they happen ;)

Greg
Greg687
Greenhorne

Postby Darkiller » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:29 pm

I think that master chief is an elite. Wonder why everyone always looks at him so funnily? he he he. But seriously I think that the ark is a remote ship or installation or maybe even planet that activates all the halos. And somehow the blast doesn't take out anything in the ark. Makes sense considering the title and such.

Oh yeah, and sry for the Starcraft reference, it just seemed like the closest analogy I could find.
Darkiller
Veteran

Postby LoadedDice » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:49 pm

[quote=]"AND WHY DON"T WE EVER SEE MC'S FACE? WHAT"S TO HIDE???

(we know he's a guy - so there's no repeats of the samus aran fiasco)

Enigmatist[/quote]

Hasn't this been settled already
John William Gates - Goes by Bill
LoadedDice
Veteran

Postby Enigmatist » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:35 am

hehe, yeah Dice. i believe so.

Greg - bingo. MC doesn't know about the ark. my point exactly. He's just on the mission after the prophet. I remember this well because the first time I played campaign, During the Arbiter level "Great Journey" (the last level", I was getting all anxious cuz I wanted to get back to the MC's mission and take down that prophet.

Well noted about the Ark of the Covenant. kinda funny.
Enigmatist
Veteran

Postby The_Janitor » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:30 pm

I think that some people STILL don't realize that Samus is a girl..
The_Janitor
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Halo 2 Discussion- BEWARE SPOILERS!