Change font size  

Adobe Premiere 6.5 Tutorial - The Basics

The name says it all...

Moderators: Dark Helmet, FrogBlast, goatrope

Adobe Premiere 6.5 Tutorial - The Basics

Postby Kyrceck » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:40 pm

Heyo, I decided on making a tutorial for you all, since I've been working in Adobe Premiere for quite some time, I just got 7.0, but I know 6.5 a lot better so this will be the first I will do. This is a short version of an extensive series of articles and tutorials that I will have on my site.

Let me start off with the basics of Adobe Premiere...

-Capturing (the basic overview of capturing w/ DV input)
-Importing Clips
-Creating a complete Timeline
-Adding Text
-Some easy but professional looking effects
-Exporting Video

Capturing Video

To capture video you need a capture card, and you probably want DV. Digital Video offers high quality and it isn't that hard to obtain.

First, you either need an analog to digital video converter or a digital video camera. There are other ways to capture video (through premiere) but this is what I will be focusing on.

ADVC from Canopus

This is what I use, it is great and give near perfect quality at 720 x 480 resolution, which is perfect (or you can change it depending on what you want). The ADVC100 from Canopus (www.canopus.com) lets you plug in the Xbox's analog cables (A/V) straight to the ADVC, make sure the button on the device says "analog in". After you set that straight, use a firewire cable to export the inputted video directly into your DV input in your computer. Once you turn the ADVC on, windows (or w/e operating system you're using) will say "there is video being sent into your DV input, what would you like to do?" Tell it to record and edit with Adobe Premiere 6.5. Premiere will pop up and nothing will happen. That’s when you have to go to:

File>Capture

Then it pops up a huge window that has a black screen on it with no audio. On the side of the screen there is a few dialogue boxes (sort of look like windows' all popular wizards) and one of them says "edit" click on the button and it will open up a box that lets you edit the input type. Select something that looks like - "DV/IEEE 1394 Capture"; press okay.

Now your screen should show the gameplay of your Xbox, sort of like a second TV. Audio should also be playing from your speakers, if you configured everything correctly. There is a button below the screen that says "record" and with that, you can start making your movie.

However, because it is going through the converter, it slows the gameplay down and makes if feel like your sensitivity is at 2 or 3. This can get somewhat annoying for someone that plays on high sensitivity (like me).

To solve this, I decided to split the video input (with a Y (female?) video splitter cable), this means that the video cable (yellow) is being split to go to two different sources, the ADVC and my TV. So now, I can play with normal sensitivity on my TV. And my computer will just mirror what happens on my TV (in a sense). You can do this to Audio (Red White) also, but audio doesn't affect my gameplay, so I passed on that.

The only bad thing about the ADVC100 is its price: $299 - a bit pricy, but worth the money if you are truly into video capturing

Heres some pics:

Video Camera

This is what Dan Choisch uses for his movies for Xbox capture, I believe, you can find examples of his work at www.2070films.com, and see if the quality is efficient for your needs, which it should, because almost perfect crisp, clear screens at 720 x 480 should be good enough for anyone that’s making gameplay footage for the web.

The video camera can work as an analog to digital video converter as an ADVC can. Another good way both of these work, and I believe Dan uses, is capturing video straight from the TV rather then the Xbox. On some TVs they have an output option in the back which lets video be exported from the TV. This is a great option, and when you look for another TV, make sure it has this, its a cheaper way to record video, but usually is better, because you don't have to haul around your computer.

You hook the appropriate cables up from the TV to the video camera, play Halo (or anything else) and bam, it shows up on your Digital Video Camera; use it to control the recording process.

After you're done recording, hook it up to your DV input and load Adobe Premiere, get everything set up like I said with capturing from the ADVC, go to:

File>Capture

...and record and take what you think is appropriate from the footage in your Video Cameras memory, load it and now you're ready to start importing clips to edit.

Importing Clips

File>Open

Simple part. You named your clips when you recorded them, and the default spot where you put the clips will *probably* be:

My documents>Adobe>Premiere

Now that you've got your clips, you're going to want to edit them and put them on a track, when you open a clip it will play on a mini screen in the upper right hand (by default). Click and drag into the timeline.

Creating a complete Timeline

Click and drag until you have all the clips you need, then arrange them in the order you want, the "Video 1" should be your base for the timelines; you can expand it, and then there are two "Video 1" areas for inserting your clips, with a "transition" area in-between so you can insert clips and have a transition between them. The Video 2 and so forth for clips that would overlap clips (like transparency or putting images on top of video)

Okay, a little overview of the timeline sections:

Video 1: The "basic" timeline put your base clips here... Video 1 can also be split into two Video 1s. In-between those two video 1 clips there is a section for transitions which let you put transitions between clips.
Video 2,3,4,(etc.): Overlaying images (video effects, transparency, cropping, logo, etc.)

Adding Text

There are two (easy) ways (that I know of) to add text:

The first is simple, use the built in text program that comes with premiere and you can access that through:

File>New>Title

But because that is self explanatory, and I'm sure most of you don't want me to make a tutorial about typing, we can skip that and go on to the fun way of doing it.

The second way of adding text is creating a black image that's size is 720x480 and adding text in Photoshop, then you can add all the cool special effects that you need.

After you've got the image, select it, and put in video 2,3,4,(etc.) and right click the image clip in the timeline menu, go to video options, click transparency, then on the transparency menu, go to Luminance, and play around with the meters to get the effect you want. (around 20 for threshold, that should make the black part go away and the text stay (if you made your text a light color, if not change the background to white and the text to dark)...

Hope this helps with the text.

Easy but Professional Looking Effects

Here are some good tricks that I've used in the past:

-Blending Effects: Blend several different effects that you can find in the "Video Effects" section
-Use of transparency: Using transparency to layer several different clips, this creates a kind of "dream" effect and can look really neat
-Different blur effects: make it look as if something is going faster then it is... neat for warthog jumps and movies of that nature

Exporting Video

To export video go to:

File>Export Timeline>Movie

Then choose which file type you would like to export - I suggest QuickTime or Microsoft AVI. If you use QuickTime - use the codec Sorenson 3 (it improves the quality greatly). However, you probably want AVI if you have low bandwidth and want to host the film yourself.

~Kyrceck

I apologize for having some spelling errors here; I did this very quickly because I have to go to one of my friend’s house. Thanks for reading.
Kyrceck
Greenhorne

Postby Flip » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:58 pm

Tank ya..helps :o
Flip
Veteran

Postby Ducain » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:37 pm

Wow, nice. I don't have premier, but if I ever get it, I'll definitely load up this page. 8)
Ducain
Halo Fanatic

Thanks alot

Postby bill » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:00 pm

I don't have it either, but my friend does. Although he doesn't have a clue on how to use it. !!!!
bill
Greenhorne

Return to Tutorials and Info